Engine question

Buick_noob

How would I know the difference between our V6 turbo engine compare to a 3.8l V6 carb engine from a Olds? Is there any differences? I found a 3.8l V6 remanufactor engine that comes with block and heads for $450.

From what I have read on here there is no hole in the block for the oil return from the turbo. You would have to have that drilled.

How would I know the difference between our V6 turbo engine compare to a 3.8l V6 carb engine from a Olds? Is there any differences? I found a 3.8l V6 remanufactor engine that comes with block and heads for $450.

There are MANY differences. The crank is different, the heads might be different (8445 casting number is what you need seen between the rocker pedistals, under the valve cover) No oil drain for the turbo, wrong head gaskets, wrong pistons, wrong rings, wrong bolts, and for $450 it is a Junk rebuild. Don't walk.........RUN the other way. A well built Buick turbo engine, even stock, will cost you about $2,500 to $5,000+ depending on what it needed and what performance level you are at. So, the engine you are looking at is $2,000 away from working, not to mention the labor costs to R&R it when it KACKS the first time you put 14 psi boost to it. If it sounds too good to be true.........It IS! The basic rebuild kit from Northern Auto parts (a GREAT source) is $489 plus shipping. So........$450 is WAY off the mark. Northern Auto Parts: - Buick 3.8-7 86-87 Turbo 14 bolt oil pan only
These engnes are not real easy to make right. If a machine shop tells you that they build Small Block Chevy engines that make big power, chances are that they have NO clue how to build a Buick Turbo V6. It's NOT Rocket science, but then again, the Space Shuttle blew up because of a $14 piece of foam.:eek: :mad:

thanx turbo fab. i picked up a 231v6 from a guy.I got it for free and he claims it was all gone through.I thought wow thanx ,maybe this will get my g.n. goin.I quickly noticed the lack of ports on the block for the turbo.I figured ther would be some diff. inside aswell,now i know what they are.Cool more knowledge is always good.Im goin to give you a call tonight ken so we can get me up to speed on my build,been reading ALOT got some?'s for ya.