engine problem

IronEagle119

Guys I just had my headgaskets replaced, and used the valve springs listed in the 86/87 common parts list on GNTType.org (Valve Springs, LT1 ~105# Seat Pressure 3927142[copied and pasted]). I'm having trouble with my engine. It builds boost fine when I give it light throttle, but when I give it more or make the rpms change suddenly it will loose all the boost it started to make and the rpms shoot way up and it seems to stop pushing the car and the engine is spinning freely. It doesn't do this all the time only when I get more aggressive with the throttle, I can build boost to 15 psi and it'll run like a champ too I'm soo confused. I can drive it easily and it will drive fine. Is this a possible wiped cam, I thought that these springs were ok to use since they were listed in that section of the web site without any warnings. If it is a wiped cam is it possible to change it without taking the heads off or do they have to come off to change the cam. If this is possibly something else let me know I'm kinda scared because I just paid $1100 worth of reapairs(head gaskets, rear main, valve seals, valve springs, control arms) on the car last week and I'm a college student that has a tight budget. I don't know much about engine building etc. If this is possibly something else I'm listening. If you guys need me to describe anything better I can try.

I had the tranny rebuilt around January 02 , and the car has sat since i blew my headgaskets around mid summer. I posted in the tranny section about the problem but had no replys and it fell of the front page so i deleted it. The car is sitting till I can get it back to the shop on monday. The tranny worked great that summer when I last drove the car before my head gasket job. I have noticed some noise comming from the valves or the heads somewhere. Any ideas of what could be the culprit could be? I'm lost as to where my problem is, tranny cam, :confused: ?

Originally posted by IronEagle119
[B

]Guys I just had my headgaskets replaced, and used the valve springs listed in the 86/87 common parts list on GNTType.org (Valve Springs, LT1 ~105# Seat Pressure 3927142[copied and pasted]).

I thought that these springs were ok to use since they were listed in that section of the web site without any warnings. [/B]

I'm betting your current problem is tranny related,

BUT the LT-1 springs are definitely no longer in vogue, due to their having more than the recommended seat pressure for stock cams.

The Comp Cams 979s/980s are considered safe, quality springs, and you may wish to change to them to prevent potential probs.

I hope at some point the LT-1 springs listing will include a warning about their excessive seat pressure for stock cams.

Hope all goes well (aka inexpensively) with this current problem!

ok, the valve springs are coming out and going in are some comp cam springs. You guys are thinking that my problem is tranny related, I had the rear main seal replaced, and they had to seperate the tranny to do this I believe. Could they have somehow not connected everything back up properly to the engine? You guys have any thoughts as to what could be the problem with these symptoms?

the shifts aren't too firm but aren't mushy, it seems to shift like a regular automatic tranny. I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to measure the TV cable adjustment?

To adjust the TV cable push the D ring on the cable,pull it all the way back toward the fire wall,release button.Hop in the car push the accellerator all the way to the floor with Engine and Key off.You will hear the cable ratchet out.This will be your hardest shifting setting.Typically you will have to move the cable one to two more clicks out manually for proper shift points.Are you running adjustable rockers or pushrods?If so make sure they are not lashed up too tight and causing the valves to come off their seats at high rpm as the oil pressure comes up.