Engine Oil Cooler Neccesary?

G

GRAYGHOST

Looking at an aluminum radiator, and was going "budget" Summit style with the GM universal. These do not have the oil coolers in them, and was wondering if I have this radiator, with the dual fan set-up, is it needed to run an additional oil cooler. Already have the tranny cooler mounted behind the passenger side air dam.

I have heard of some people who pluged off there oil cooling lines????

I haven't run an oil cooler for a couple years now. My thinking is if I keep the entire car running cooler then there is no need. Beside I am not really sure how much cooling you get from the radiator anyway. I run the griffen Universal AL. Works great.

Sully

I agree, we run the NAPA aluminum radiator for a 89 camaro dual fan kit and a powerstroke intercooler on ZAKs car and it stays around 157-162 with no oil cooler-

ive got 3 with no coolers and aftermarket radiators, still no problem...
BW

Quick6, hows the fit of the NAPA camaro radiator? Also the core count as compared to the TR's. Being aluminum would cool better anyway....And how much $$$$
Thanks.

HEY man, still wondering how my te60 is doing that i sold you a few months back-???

the radiator is a drop in unit, and you dont need to modify the upper rad support- just move the rubber supports at the bottom.

its best that you run a front mount trans cooler AND the camaro trans cooler at the same time because then you will be able to fit the rad better,... allowing you to adjust where the lines go... the coolant lines are the same.

honestly it only has one core , its about 1 inch wide like the TTA,

check my link in the tech section about how well the car ran friday at the track...

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100551

if you know someone....$ less than you would think-

do a search on 87 and 89 camaro radiators

seems like someone has a cheaper price on em

email me if ya have any Q's

Would it be possible to run the camaro trans cooler as the engine oil, since I already have the trans cooler dept. covered?

with an oil cooled turbo, I wouldn't think about running without one. just my $.02

Originally posted by jastrckl
with an oil cooled turbo, I wouldn't think about running without one. just my $.02

Is the turbo oil being fed from the cooler, or is it being fed from the engine block where the oil is at operating tempature?

I will take an engine that runs 160º all the time with no cooler over one that runs 190-200º+ with a cooler.

just my ¢. 02

Sully

how about a cooler for the turbo oil feed ? worthwhile i would think.