Engine misfire

nwb300

I just purchased my first gn and when I got down the road to bring her home it sounding like it was running rough. It hasn't been out on the road in quite a while so I thought it was bad gas or just needed to run a little. When I did give it gas it was fine until the turbo kicked in and sounding like it was detonating or misfiring. I spooled the turbo up a couple more times and it still did it. I drove it 20 miles home and when I popped the hood there are 5 hoses coming of the top of the motor right before the throttle body. I'm new to these engines. lol 2 of the hoses came off. The ones closest to the back of the car. When I plugged them in i started her back up and it ran fine. Could I of caused any damage to the motor or was I just lucky? I had the car appraised so I don't know if somebody was monkeying around or what. Hopefully they were just not in tight. Thanks for any help!!!!!

Nick

I just purchased my first gn and when I got down the road to bring her home it sounding like it was running rough. It hasn't been out on the road in quite a while so I thought it was bad gas or just needed to run a little. When I did give it gas it was fine until the turbo kicked in and sounding like it was detonating or misfiring. I spooled the turbo up a couple more times and it still did it. I drove it 20 miles home and when I popped the hood there are 5 hoses coming of the top of the motor right before the throttle body. I'm new to these engines. lol 2 of the hoses came off. The ones closest to the back of the car. When I plugged them in i started her back up and it ran fine. Could I of caused any damage to the motor or was I just lucky? I had the car appraised so I don't know if somebody was monkeying around or what. Hopefully they were just not in tight. Thanks for any help!!!!!

Nick

Since you live where I grew up I better reply back to ya. :D Congratulations on your purchase.

1) Do not run the car in boost until you know what you have and that it's running correctly!
2) If you had vacuum hoses come off you ran the car lean. That’s why it was detonating and backfiring. Change all of the vacuum hoses so you have good hoses that will hold onto the nipple and then use some zip ties to hold them on.
3) Read everything you can on this forum, Turbo Regal Web Site, and Vortex Buicks. Conduct the spring cleaning and change all the fluids, plugs, etc.
4) Get a Scanmaster or other scan tool so you know what the car is doing and can make adjustments. The stock tach and boost gage are notoriously inaccurate.
5) Put everything you know about the car now into your signature so we have more information to diagnose things with.
6) Eric at Turbotweak makes great chips that make the car run much better than stock or many of the other aftermarket chips.

Get the car running correctly first and take it slow or you will break it!

Cool to see some people from michigan on here!!!!! I'll have to get my rear in gear and get some info up here with some pics of the car. For starters I know he had the motor and tranny rebuilt. Motor has 2k on it and has one of the poston rebuild kits. He has a kenne bell ram air kit, rear seat frame brace, poly body bushings, custom front oil/tranny cooler and a new chip (not sure who made it). I'll definately get the scanmaster here real soon.