Engine Knock...

Noah63Nova

Hey guys, I have been looking at a 1987 Turbo T with 140,000 miles and its a clean looking car but it has one issue. Engine knock, the owner claims that it has a slight knock but runs and drives and I just wandered do any of you guys know what it could possibly be and how much to fix it? The car is priced less than most turbo t's that ive seen but if it needs a bit in repairs I would most definetly have to get it cheaper if decided to buy. I appreciate input from all. Thanks

Noah--my question here--are you prepared to tear the bottom end down and put a new crank/bearings in this engine--assuming that there is no other damage. My best guess is that if you can do this type repair and you bought the car at significantly less than one with a sound engine--it may be worth it. If you have to farm this engine repair out--be ready to shell out over $1000.00 for parts and labor. My concern here is why, what is knocking? If it the flex plate just loose or crank harmonic balancer bolt loose--no biggie, if it is internal--crank, bearing, connecting rod replacement may be necessary. Hope that helps. Dp

First off, thanks for the reply and the owner just stated engine knock, I can always ask him some questions of its low or high rpm, where's it coming from etc if that would help. Also, I wouldn't mind rebuilding the bottom end if it's only going to cost around 1k.

If you've not owned one of these cars before, then you need to be prepared for a significant investment in time and money. How recent is the tranny and rear end and all the rest? Is the frame solid? I'd assume worste case when you speak with seller and assume it is a lower end knock and he'll need to get you comfortable to anything other than that. How recent is turbo, etc. etc.
These cars are very very technical to get right and finiky to keep running correctly. Base your price on what you can pay for a quality, reasonably low milleage car. I'm thinking you get a perfectly tunned, solid car in the 15K range?
My 2 cents.
good luck and I hope all works out.
One thing is for sure, the guys and galls on this forum can and certainly will help you get to the bottom of any issues
Joel

Thanks for the reply Joel, and no I have not owner one before. Although I have not owned a turbo Buick before I do have a uncle that I know would be willing to share his knowledge and has a turbo Buick that he has personally worked on and done all of the upgrades to and has had problems with his car and fixed them as it had problem when bought in the early 2000s. Also, owner was asking 7k obo for the car.

If the rest of the car is in great shape ie; body, suspension, TRANS then offer him 5500 and count on spending about 8 to 10k for a rebuild depending on what your goals are. Could be done for less if you got help from you Uncle.

Thanks for the reply, and one more question. Is it going to cost 1k or 8k guys? Because that's quite a bit of a difference

Where are you located? Maybe a knowledgable Buick guy would be willing to look at the car with you? We can also point you in the right direction of a local engine builder who can give you an estimate. Honestly, if you are rebuilding it back to stock specs, I don't see why you couldn't be done with it around the 1500 dollar mark. Depends on how much work you can do yourself. How handy are you?

I am located in the south al in the Dothan area, I am fairly handy and I have no problem taking an engine apart. Although I have never actually done any motor work to a 3.8 but if I run into a problem I can always get some advice from my uncle or just have a reputable shop do it for a good price.

1500.00 dollars wont even buy the parts. If the cars engine is knocking then it isnt worth 1000.00. Rebuild engine minimum five or six thou with stock parts and machine work, closer to ten if you want it to "go fast". Then theres all the other upgrades, fuel, spark, bushings, the list is endless my advice and i know this from personally doing this is to wait and get car that doesnt need anything done to it except driving.

Thanks for the reply, and I just plan on driving the car whether stock or not just because I love these cars and it would be a dream come true to own even a turbo Buick. I am assuming if the car needed anything rebuilt it would be the bottom end just from hearing that and doing some reading. I may be wrong, but at the moment I am just trying to figure out some costs if the car were to need the bottom end rebuilt

1500.00 dollars wont even buy the parts. If the cars engine is knocking then it isnt worth 1000.00. Rebuild engine minimum five or six thou with stock parts and machine work, closer to ten if you want it to "go fast". Then theres all the other upgrades, fuel, spark, bushings, the list is endless my advice and i know this from personally doing this is to wait and get car that doesnt need anything done to it except driving.

1500 won't buy the parts? I think you are out of touch there. Stock replacement stuff is not expensive.

Crank, timing chain, rods, pistons,rings,gaskets,cam,valves,lifters,rockers, bolts and what else. You might be able to use some parts but why would you since you have it apart. Then of course once its apart it just has to go faster,then the real fun begins.

If the bores look good, he just needs a light hone and some new rings. Cross off pistons. No need for rods, just resize them. Cam and lifters are okay? reuse them. All he would need is a set of head bolts and the gaskets. Do a quick pump upgrade from Earl Brown's guide, new gears, TA shim kit.. Thing would be pissah. If he wants to go fast, then there is more you can do. But Bison has been pretty damn fast on a stock short block, so...

But chances are the car is beat on and the engine needs everything. If you want a project that might take a few years to sort out, I would save my money for 2 more years and buy a car that's in good shape. Sounds like this car would be good for a TB guy that has experience and plenty of spare parts hanging around.

I will play devils advocate here.

New parts are not always the way to go.

I have had plenty of success refurbishing stock rods, refurb crank by turning or welding and turning, using stock pistons or reasonably priced forged pistons and using most of the other stock hard parts.

Timing chain sets, oil pumps, gaskets and other small parts can be had at very reasonable prices.

If you do all of this 2000 to 2500 is an attainable goal. You may need to haggle and do work yourself.

To have a reputable Buick engine builder will cost more money. I usually start about 4500 for a fairly stock rebuild reusing mostly stock parts.

Paying attention to detail and the Buick engine specific anomalies, will be your friend.

Hope this helps