Engine Gurus Need Help

NOKA72

Whats Up Guys....so I Got A Problem...fresh Rebuild...start It Cold In The Morning...and I Got Lifter Noise And Possible Rod Knock....its So Quick Though 3-4 Seconds And Oil Pressure Builds And Its Gone...i Have 80 Lbs Cold....and It Will Come Down To 13-15 Smokin Hot On A Dig Guage....so Now It Runs Strong..pulls Hard Oil Pressure Builds Instantly With Rpms....but Now I Shut It Down...20 Mins...and Restart It Sounds Like A Rod Knock For 3 Secs...very Quick Like A Pinging Sound If I Can Help Explain It....then 3 Secs Its Gone....and Dont Seem To Hear A Thing While Running....so What Do You Think....thnx Vinny

I don't *think* that rod knock would sound like pinging. More a thunk or clunk sound.

Maybe piston slap? Forged pistons? Tell more about the build...

A friend of mine just had a good thought. Sticky lifter or other lifter issue that goes away when the oil pressure comes up. That would be a tick sound I'd think (would cause that valve to be "loose" until the lifter pumps up). Seems more resonable.

Are you using a low first number weight oil? Lower the better in this cold weather. Sounds like it is taking a few seconds for your engine to build pressure.

EDIT:
"fresh build" as in the first fire? If so it should have been pre-lubed.

I bet its piston to wall clearance your hearing..... specially if you ran the TRW forged pistons.... tend to be slappers in the morning.

A.j.

Well Im Using 10-40 Right Now....oil Pump/system Was Primed Everytime I Did Any Type Of Work...never Started This Engine Dry...im Only At About 200 Miles On New Build.tried So Many Different Oil Filters I Now Have A Small Collection.....as Far As The Build...
Stock 109
Forged Trws Stock Bore
Polished Std Crnk....std Mains/rods
Rods Resized/arp Bolts
Speed Pro Cam/lifter Kit 204/214
Gm Cover/earlbrown Mods/hv Pump Kit/new Adptr/biggie Kit/wix Filter
Rotating Assembly Balanced
P/p Heads/stainless Valve/ta Perf Hrd Shaft Rocker Assembly

Like I Said When I Start This Engine Hot/go To The Store Come Out 20 Mins Later/i Start It/ It Sounds Like A Quick Rap/marble In A Can/then Oil Press Comes Up/its Gone...that Fast....im Curious Where Can I Find A Pic Of The Path Of Oil Flow...im Trying To Decide If Im Going To Pull The Pan Sat...

HEY dr_frankenstein DO YOU THINK THEY WOULD SLAP WHEN THE ENGINE IS HOT...EVERYTIME I START IT UP...I KIND OF QUESTION THAT..NOT SURE...

HEY dr_frankenstein DO YOU THINK THEY WOULD SLAP WHEN THE ENGINE IS HOT...EVERYTIME I START IT UP...I KIND OF QUESTION THAT..NOT SURE...

if its rattling even when Hot then its not the pistons and more likely a drainback problem as Mikestertwo noted.

What oil filter are you running? brand, number.... give us details.

A.j.

Wix 51258 With The Biggie Oil Filter Adapter/it Has Done This With Every Filter From The 47-52-ph25 And Now This Wix...
And Yes It Will Do It Everytime...i Wait 15-20 Mins....and It Will Do It...so Let Me Ask You This If A Rod Clearance Is Loose It Would Drain Quick ...so Im Thinking.....and If So That Meansmy Lifter Noise Is A Different Problem Or Are They Tied Together.....

What happens when you shut it down, wait about a minute or so, and then restart?

What lifters?

K.

my lifters on my old motor used to clank for 2-3 seconds on a cold start..never a problem though other then that..also had a slight piston slap from the trw's if you gave it a litte rev in park you could hear them rattling down....went mid 10's on that motor for a while and never had any problems

my .02 cents..

I'm with Blown & Injected, if you are living where you need a coat, give some Royal Purple 5W-20 a try
and a Mobil One Filter.
The colder weather kills oil flow and unless you are pulling a trailer, don't worry about the oil.
Keep an eye on your oil pressure, I'll bet it will be the same #'s as the 10-40 readings.

I Shimed The Pump With Ta Perf Shims....i Pretty Sure I Got That Tight...2 Thou....
Keith To Answer Your Question I Beleive Not A Peep On A Quick Restart....and Lifters Are From The Sealed Power Kit....and I Was Thinking Of Trying 5-30...but Then I Say If Its Doin This Hot That Wont Help .....correct

Have you tryed a bottle of STP oil treatment to see what happens? It has a clinging agent that will keep most moving parts prelubed for a good start up.

Thinking out loud... Higher valvespring pressure, too much preload, causing the inexpensive lifters to bleed off very quick...??

K.

WELL ILL TELL YOU THIS...BEFORE I STARTED IT THIS MORNING I PULLED THE OIL FILTER JUST TOO SEE AND ITS EMPTY BARELY A SHOT GLASS OF OIL CAME OUT OF IT.....WHATS THE DEAL WITH THAT????SHOULD BE FULL OF OIL YES....ALSO...TRIED STP...TRIED 5-30....AND YOU KNOW WHAT THIS THING HAS DEF GOT A ROD KNOCK....JUST CANT FIGURE WHY..WENT THROUGH THE TROUBLE OF MAKING SURE THINGS WERE RIGHT...I FEEL LIKE THIS PUPPY IS JINXED.....:mad: NOT EVEN 200 MILES AND ITS GOT TO COME APART AGAIN...SHOULD I TRY PULLING THE PAN FIRST MAYBE SOMETHING I CAN DO????DAMN!!!!!