engine cost questions

pphil

this is my first post but here we go

i just bought a 1976 buick skylark 231 v6
and i am thinking ethier a 455 swap or a turbo v6 swap
the v6 should be easier but i dont have a clue to the cost of the turbo motors

so my first question is how much for a turbo drivetrain(ballpark figure)
thanks in advance
scott

1970 buick wildcat 455-4
1976 buick skylark 231

You can probably buy a donor setup for between 1000 to 1500. Check out the parts for sale section here. You will see them for sale quite often.

If you can find someone who has done this swap before and talk to them first you will be miles ahead and avoid a ton of frustration.

Good luck,

Matt

If you want to have some fun while you gather parts I've got a Holley street dominator made for the odd fire engine. You also have 3 options as to which set up you go with. Carb/turbo is cheapest/easiest and less power. HA is more power and electrical work. And the intercooled set up will be the hardest but fastest. It really depends on how much work and $ you want to put in it.

How far are you from clarksville? 45 miles?

BW

yes clarksville is about 45 miles from me
i am 5 miles from downtown nashville

If you want to have some fun while you gather parts I've got a Holley street dominator made for the odd fire engine. You also have 3 options as to which set up you go with. Carb/turbo is cheapest/easiest and less power. HA is more power and electrical work. And the intercooled set up will be the hardest but fastest. It really depends on how much work and $ you want to put in it.

i dont want the fastest thing on the road......
but I do want a 11.9-12.5 sec car
i think i will only need 250-275 horse motor...300 max
i really dont know how much the 76 skylark weighs but i will get it weighed after i get it tagged

scott

Getting to the numbers you want will be easy if you do LOTS of reading first so you can see how it's done. As far as HP numbers that depends on the weight. The car should weigh in about the same as the Regal but you have a few other issues to deal with. Get a sub frame connector kit for sure and there's lots of tricks you can do in the rear as well.

do yourself a favor

Dude, do yourself a big favor, put a nice big block chevy in it. save some money.

Converting from NA to fuel injection is not as cheap and easy as sticking with another NA motor. The fuel system has to have an electric pump and circuit, a return and vent line. ECM and harness, lots of other little bits and pieces. It is doable though.

Getting to the numbers you want will be easy if you do LOTS of reading first so you can see how it's done. As far as HP numbers that depends on the weight. The car should weigh in about the same as the Regal but you have a few other issues to deal with. Get a sub frame connector kit for sure and there's lots of tricks you can do in the rear as well.

Converting from NA to fuel injection is not as cheap and easy as sticking with another NA motor. The fuel system has to have an electric pump and circuit, a return and vent line. ECM and harness, lots of other little bits and pieces. It is doable though.

i know it will be a lot of work
my first ideas for the car was either a 455 swap or a turbo swap
i figured the v6 would set right in and then i would have to change the trans and rear add frame rails etc...but i could keep my A/C and the sleeper sound and look
if i go 455 i still have to change the complete running gear but i have to lose the firewall so no heater and A/C and i still have to add the frame rails

i know this project will take time and money but the car is paid for and i have room in the garage
i am just trying to do my homework :)

scott

i know it will be a lot of work
my first ideas for the car was either a 455 swap or a turbo swap
i figured the v6 would set right in and then i would have to change the trans and rear add frame rails etc...but i could keep my A/C and the sleeper sound and look
if i go 455 i still have to change the complete running gear but i have to lose the firewall so no heater and A/C and i still have to add the frame rails

i know this project will take time and money but the car is paid for and i have room in the garage
i am just trying to do my homework :)

scott

If you start with the turbo V6 idea and then go to a 455 there isn't much to change. You can still use the 2004r tranny and as far as position It's almost in the same one as the 350 Buick that came in them so not a biggie after all. Good luck.

picked up a running 1970 455 today
so it looks like i will be staying on the dark side
thanks everyone
scott

I used to live up by Land Between the Lakes in KY. You're pretty close to my old house.

i just found a wrecked 87 t type
i bought the whole car
87 turbo engine / 2004r trans / posi rear
the swap is back on

scott