Engine buildup

MadMike

Turbo Junkie
As I get closer to my completion of my powertrain to put back into my car. I was wondering if there is a website, or book I can buy that would have a break down of the engine and what goes where. I have most things figured out, and ive built engines before, but most of those engines I also took apart... This one was apart when I got the car so im at a loss on this one. Also was wondering if there is a breakdown file of part numbers or whatnot. If youve even seen the computer's exploded views that GM dealers have, this is what im pretty much looking for. too bad I dont work for one anymore....

Kirban's has several titles available, I think Poston carries them as well: everything from facts and figures to "how to" guides.

Jigsaw puzl

I've had decent results going to Buick/GM dealer and having the parts guy print pages of data from their shop software. Exploded engine views with numbered parts (2) and pages of corresponding part numbers that relate to GM part numbers. If you dont have any luck at yer dealer, I can fax you what I have.

I got an "engine assembly" manual from Kenne-Bell years ago, I think it was $10.00 or so. It's 56 pages long and has all the diagrams one would need for reassembling the engine. I scanned it into TIF files, but they're 1.5M each. If you have a specific area you need, I can e-mail you that one...

well I guess the one area im leary about messing up would be the front cover, with the oil pump, and whatnot. I know the water pump bolts to that and then the oil pan can go on, but Im looking at where certain sensors are in that area. then the setup for the crank dampner and pulley. Heads, intake, oil pan and the rest is pretty straight forward, but I just dont want to put the front together and then have to take it all apart, because i forgot something.

The last issue of GSCA had a great write-up on the to do and not to do on buidling a TR motor. May be worth looking into...

Mike Banas
87GN

thanks Russ for the picture/partnumber setup. this is perfect to what i was looking for.

Just need to order up some new sensors and mabye a few more things now that I look at these pictures and Ill be runnin in no time!

NC87GN/Mike - Little late for that now, ive already had the short block done, and the heads. Thanks for the tip tho.