Engine Bay Heat

jgines

CaTcH mE iF yOu CaN
Guys,

Yesterday, I finally got to start her up for the first time since I got her :D
I noticed after being on for about 5-10 min i shut her off opened the hood and felt a rush of extremly hot air hitting my face. Is it normal for the engine compartment to get ridiculously hot like that, I put my hand close to the up-pipe and i just felt the heat coming off of it and i was about half a foot away.

I also noticed white/Grayish smoke coming off of the up-pipe from that crossed pattern part of it. its a new stock replacement up pipe from Jay's GN Parts and Repair.

Thanks in advance.

John

I suspect that the uppipe is leaking somewhere. Get a can of carb cleaner and spray it all around the uppipe and connectors. Any change in idle will show you a leak. Just an idea. Brad

P.S. If you have a leak do not drive the car. It is a torch about to happen.

BRAD_PADGETT said:
P.S. If you have a leak do not drive the car. It is a torch about to happen.

He's right I blew that copper gasket between the turbo and up pipe at the track and had to drive home. No fire but it burt a whole in the hoodliner and then the heat made a quarter sized whole in the paint on the hood. :mad:

My turbo and up&down pipes smoke like that whenever the car has been sitting for awhile. It cooks off and stops smoking.

If thats the case does that explain why the headers and everything else is
so damn hot?

Is there a way to check to see if the water pump is working? or if there is some kind of coolant test to see if the radiator is clogged up? The reason I ask is that when i opened the radiator cap theres some kind of rust looking crap floating around :confused: like the the radiator has never been flushed.

I would flush the radiator. But if there is rust in it flushing it might cause a purge. I would check around the bungs you might already have a leak if not flushing it might cause one. You could always replace it. I know I'm happy with the Modene 951. It's a stock replacement for the firebirds and fits in our cars. You'll need to make some new trans cooling lines for it but it works great and is like 20 pounds lighter than our radiators. As far as keeping engine temps down I don't think it will noticeably help much unless you have a temp gauge. I've wanted to put fender luvers on my car for years but haven't found a local bodyshop that is willing to do it and I don't trust my unsteady hands. Also a cowl hood would help bring temps down.

Check the thread Camaro radiator-huge difference. I put in a Modine 951 last month and you do not need new trans lines-Just bend the olds to fit. You will need a new bracket to hold the drivers side of the radiator down. Let me know if you need any pointers. Brad

Since the subject came up, in the back of my mind I am concerned about my 21 year old stock up & down pipes. I know some of you have well over 100k on them. Besides maybe discoloration is there any other warning signs of them going bad. Especially the up pipe, because I don't like hearing fire hazzard. I don't want to replace them just to ease my mind, but if there is any indication of pending failure I would sure like to know about it.

The down pipe is actually steel underneath the braiding and will not leak. I noticed my stock uppipe was leaking by a slightl change in engine noise and black carbon deposits on the uppipe where it was leaking. Brad

Do you guys have a part # for the modine 951 radiator?

Can that be purchased at any auto store?

Thanks for all the help guys!! :D

Brad,

I cant find that thread you were talking about. Tried the search but came up empty