ENGINE ANALYZER PRO SIM (JUST PLAYING AROUND WITH)

Squid4life

So, after seeing Donnie and Norbs playing around with engine sims, I decided to download a free 10 day version of Engine Analyzer Pro to mess around with and see how my SII build will work out. Having a little bit of a hard time as this software is extremely detailed. Some of the info I have, some I could get if my heads were here, some I don't have.

I don't have a cam card, and have limited specs in front of me for what I am thinking about running. One cam is 242 242 @ .050", 113 lsa. That is all I have on it, but it seems similar to the cam that broke in the motor I bought which was 244 244 @ .050", 112 lsa, and 366 lift. I imagine lift would be similar on the cam I am looking to get, but I would have to get the specs or card from Neal.

My block is sitting at 3.98" rough bore, and I have 3.625" cranks. Looking to run 6.3" or 6.35" Crower rods. I have twin TE-63's, Edelbrock converted intake, 90mm TB, the car runs on E85. My heads are Stage 2's, ported by Chapman. No flow sheet yet, and they are not in front of me to take measurements of ports, chambers, or even Ex valve as I have already forgotten that.

I am curious of a few things.

What will the RPM range be? So far with limited info, the engine stops building power at 6k, which obviously means I don't have all my ducks in a row in the S/W. I am curious how much I will need to/ have to rev this motor.

I am curious if this cam mentioned above is a good choice. My use for this car will be a mix of track and street. I will drive it once a week to work, maybe more, and short jaunts to baseball practice for the kids, etc. I am not too concerned with street manners, but I would like it to build boost of course. Richie has a cam for sale on here with the following specs, but it seems a bit large, with a small LSA:

"DLS/PTE 246 solid roller
lift is .616 .616
Dur @ .050 248
lobe lift .385
lobe separ. 110"

Also curious how I need to have my builder set up my spring pressures. Car will be mean, with a decent sized cam, but will see street driving, including highway. So, that throws a new wrench in the equation because if it were a race car only, go high on seat pressure. On a street killer, what kind of pressure will I need?

This also brings up the timing chain vs gear drive question. If I need to have high pressures, then it questions whether I should take chances with a chain. I would prefer to run a chain, and PM the motor and see how it is working after 3-6 months. But, if the cam, RPM, etc requires higher pressures, then obviously there is a point where I should move to a gear drive setup.

Anyhow, Norbs or Donnie, if you want to take a look at the file saved on here, let me know what you think. If there are some changes needed, let me know and I will make them. Donnie, if you have your head specs for your Chapmans, we could use those. Otherwise, I am all ears here!

EDIT: I uploaded the file, but had to change the extension to ".txt". You should be able to change it, or remove the ".txt" and it should convert back. Let me know if it works or not, or if it is even worth playing with.

Attachments

• MY STAGE 2 A.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 91
Here are the specs I entered, in a word doc if it helps:

SHORT BLOCK INFO:
4” BORE
3.625” STROKE
LOW TENSION RINGS
6.3” RODS
SMALLER SKIRT
BEARING SIZE .65?????
ENGINE+DYNO INERTIA / CRANK DESIGN: 5.56?????
CHAMBER VOLUME CC’S 33.2
BORE/STROKE 1.103
ROD/STROKE 1.738

HEAD SPECS:
1 VALVE, 1 PORT
2.08” INTAKE
AVG PORT DIAM 1.85”?????
PORT LENGTH 5”
PORT VOL 220.3 CCS
AVG PORT AREA 2.69 SQ IN
ANTI REVERSION %?????
FLOW TABLE OR FLOW COEFFICIENT?????
VALVE LIFTS .100 - .750, FLOW CFM, COEF, ETC?????

1.62” EXHAUST DIAM ?????
AVG PORT DIAM 1.71 ?????
PORT LENGTH 3.5”
PORT VOL 131.7CC, AVG PORT AREA 2.30 SQ IN
ANTI REVERSION %?????
FLOW TABLES AGAIN?????

INTAKE SYSTEM SPECS:
RUNNER DIAM 1.83”?????
STRAIGHT RUNNERS?????
RUNNER LENGTH 5”?????
RUNNER FLOW COEF 2.50 ?????
MAINFOLD TYPE SINGLE PLENUM EFI
FUEL DELIVERY SPECS:
INJECTOR RATING 160LB/HR
INJECTOR RATED PSI 43?????
OPERATING FUEL PRESS PSI 43?????
PRESSURE CONTROL : REG TO BOOST PRES ?????
FIRING METHOD: ONCE/CYCLE (2 REVS) ?????
THROTTLE CFM RATING: 1050 ?????
EXHAUST SYSTEM SPECS:
STRAIGHT PRIMARY
2.1” INSIDE DIAM
31” LENGTH
RUNNER FLOW COEF: 2
OPEN HEADERS
SIMPLE COLLECTOR
10” COLLECTOR LENGTH

CAM/ VALVETRAIN SPECS:
INT / EXH
CENTERLINE DEG XXX.X ATDC / XXX.X BTDC
DUR .050 242 / 242
OPEN @ .050
CLOSE @ .050
MAX LOBE LIFT
ACTUAL VALVE LASH
DESIGNED VALVE LASH
ROCKER RATIO
LIFTER PROFILE: INVERTED SOLID ROLLER ?????
GROSS VALVE LIFT: .586
DWELL OVER NOSE
DUR @ .200”: ?????
TOTAL CAM ADVANCE: 3.3 ADV ?????
LOBE SEP: 113
CALCULATE VALVE TRAIN DYN: NO
TURBO SPECS:
ISLAND CFM: 300 ?????
ISLAND PRESS RATIO: 1.8?????
ISLAND EFFICIENCY: 74% ?????
SURGE CFM: 250 ?????
EXH TURBINE EFF%: 65% TYPICAL ?????
TURBINE NOZZLE: .98 IN ?????
MAX FLOW: 600 CFM ?????
THROTTLE LOCATION: BLOW THRU
MAX BOOST: 28 PSI
TWIN TURBOS
IC EFF % 75% AIR/WATER
IC CFM RATING: 100000 ?????
WASTEGATE IS: BEFORE IC

CALC PERF:
ACCEL RATE RPM/SEC: 600 ?????
STARTING RPM: 4,000
# OF RPM STEPS: 16 ?????
RPM STEP SIZE: 250 ?????
DRAG RACING GAS
RICHNESS: 15% RICH
110 OCTANE
NO NOS
SPARK GIVING BEST POWER
NO CHAIN CALCS

Let's start from the top.
Change to standard tension rings. Don't run low tension on a car that may be run on the street. Besides, low tension will not have the life you're looking for.
6.3" rod? What is the ring package going to look like with that short of a compression height? That sounds like you're going to be running a n/a sort of ring package.
Use typical skirt.
.72 bearing size.
5.56 inertia.
Stage II head chambers are typically 45 cc.
That should cover the short block specs.

Let's start from the top.
Change to standard tension rings. Don't run low tension on a car that may be run on the street. Besides, low tension will not have the life you're looking for.
6.3" rod? What is the ring package going to look like with that short of a compression height? That sounds like you're going to be running a n/a sort of ring package.
Use typical skirt.
.72 bearing size.
5.56 inertia.
Stage II head chambers are typically 45 cc.
That should cover the short block specs.

K, rings changed, bearing changed. Now I forget where the heck I found chamber size...

6.325" usually uses a 6.5" rod, which puts the pin up in the ring land. The 6.3" is a better option and is "the common" choice when not wanting to use 6.5". Those are off the shelf Crower, but if need be customs can be made. I was going back and forth between 6" and 6.3", but having the 6.3's readily available was a plus. CH with 3.625" stroke and 6.3" rod is right at 1.3675". Stock 3.8 CH is 1.825", and I have seen guys run as little as 1.1 or 1.2 in a turbo Buick, but I don't want to do that.

3.625 STROKE / 2 = 1.8125 + 6.300 = 8.1125 – 9.480 = 1.3675 CH

My machinist suggested for more street friendly survivability to maybe go with something like the 6" (custom)

3.625 / 2 = 1.8125 + 6.000 = 7.8125-9.480 = 1.6675 CH

The 6.3 is putting the CH a little tighter than what I'd shoot for, but it's close. It should be OK. I went with a CH of 1.485". That allowed the ring land spacing and ring land strength I wanted.
Your machinist was right. The shorter the CH, the more piston rocking, the harder the rings have it to control what they have to control, and the shorter the ring life.
The advantage of the longer rod is less cylinder wall loading, and a little more dwell time at TDC.

I just posted the flow numbers to the set of heads I plan on running. Post # 136 in my thread.

Use these specs.
HEAD SPECS:
1 VALVE, 1 PORT
2.08” INTAKE
AVG PORT DIAM 2.02”
PORT LENGTH 5”
PORT VOL 245 CCS
AVG PORT AREA 3.2 SQ IN
ANTI REVERSION 0%
FLOW TABLE
VALVE LIFTS Enter lifts and flow numbers I listed in my thread. Flowed @ 28".

1.62” EXHAUST DIAM
AVG PORT DIAM 1.71
PORT LENGTH 3.5”
PORT VOL 131.7CC, AVG PORT AREA 2.30 SQ IN
ANTI REVERSION 0%
FLOW TABLES Enter lifts and flow numbers I listed in my thread. Flowed @ 28".

Burn rating: 10% faster.

FUEL DELIVERY SPECS:
INJECTOR RATING 160LB/HR
INJECTOR RATED PSI 42.5
OPERATING FUEL PRESS PSI 45
PRESSURE CONTROL : REG TO BOOST PRES
FIRING METHOD: ONCE/CYCLE (2 REVS)
THROTTLE CFM RATING: Use the calculator to come up with a cfm for the diameter throttle blade you'll be using. I use 1286 cfm for a 4 in throttle body.

CALC PERF:
SAE conditions
ACCEL RATE RPM/SEC: 600
STARTING RPM: Pick a rpm low enough to see the spooling quality of the turbo and your combination.
# OF RPM STEPS: Pick a number of steps that will give you an ending rpm just beyond your planned redline.
RPM STEP SIZE: 250 is good.
DRAG RACING GAS
RICHNESS: 15% RICH
110 OCTANE
NO NOS
SPARK GIVING BEST POWER
NO CHAIN CALCS

These specs are wide open. I will help guide you, but I won't be letting anyone know what specs I plan on using.

INTAKE SYSTEM SPECS:
RUNNER DIAM ? Start with the diameter of the intake port you have entered in the heads table.
STRAIGHT RUNNERS ? I would play with different degrees of taper until you find a number that works good. This will produce for you.
RUNNER LENGTH ? Play with different numbers. The results will be interesting.
RUNNER FLOW COEF ? I use 2.7.
MAINFOLD TYPE SINGLE PLENUM EFI Yes.

EXHAUST SYSTEM SPECS:
STRAIGHT PRIMARY Play with stepped. Typically the steps would be no larger than 1/8 in.
2.1” INSIDE DIAM This would be the largest I would go. Try smaller to see if there is anything there.
31” LENGTH This spec is closely tied to the above inside diameter. Try different lengths AND diameters. Big gains here.
RUNNER FLOW COEF: Use 3.
OPEN HEADERS
SIMPLE COLLECTOR
10” COLLECTOR LENGTH Surprisingly, this is a touchy spec. Play with different lengths and diameters. Leave taper at 0.

CAM/ VALVETRAIN SPECS:
INT / EXH
CENTERLINE DEG XXX.X ATDC / XXX.X BTDC
DUR .050 242 / 242
OPEN @ .050
CLOSE @ .050
MAX LOBE LIFT
ACTUAL VALVE LASH
DESIGNED VALVE LASH
ROCKER RATIO
LIFTER PROFILE: INVERTED SOLID ROLLER ????? Mild solid roller.
GROSS VALVE LIFT: .586
DWELL OVER NOSE No
DUR @ .200”: ????? Automatically entered by program
TOTAL CAM ADVANCE: 3.3 ADV ?????
LOBE SEP: 113
CALCULATE VALVE TRAIN DYN: NO
When first entering the cam specs, set cam advance to zero. Enter the lobe separation for intake and exhaust, for instance 113. Enter durations @ .050". Enter valve lashes and lobe lifts. Enter rocker arm ratios. Enter lifter profile. Use mild ramp. Zero dwell over the nose.
Lift for rating events = .050".
Now change the cam advance to the amount you want. The specs will change automatically for you. If you have a different cam you want to try, first set the cam advance back to zero, then enter the cam specs.

For the turbos, do you have any compressor maps and/or other information on the turbos?

I would not try tuning the intake and exhaust too much before you have a better idea of what the cam specs are going to be. When you play with different durations you will find that the intake duration is what really dictates the rpm powerband of the engine. The more intake duration, the higher the rpm range of the powerband. The exhaust duration should simply follow along with the intake duration. Play with a little more or a little less exhaust duration in relation to the intake duration. But, the intake will set the powerband.
Lobe separation will depend a lot on the amount of exhaust back pressure you have. The more back pressure, the more separation. The less back pressure, the more the lobe separation might move towards n/a type of numbers.
Cam advance. You should always have some.
Cam lobe lift and valve lift numbers will depend a lot on the amount of duration you end up with. A short duration cam will have lower lift values. It has to do with the amount of time available to get the valve to the target lift. This is the ramp rate of the cam lobe. A slower ramp rate is more durable and less spring is required. A fast ramp rate, for instance trying to get a big lift number out of a small duration cam lobe will be less durable, and will require more spring pressure to keep the valvetrain under control.

The first step would be to pick your rpm redline. Then settle in on an intake duration that will produce good power up to your chosen redline. play with lobe separation, dual pattern duration numbers, cam advance.
After you think you have something, play with the intake and exhaust specs to match the manifolding to the cam specs. After you think you have it matched, go back to playing with the cam specs to fine tune things. The changes in the manifold specs may have changed the cam requirements. You may have to go back and forth between the cam and manifolding until you can't get anymore gains. Then, bring the turbos into the mix. Play with different nozzle sizes, for instance.
After you think you've found 'the turbo specs', go back over the cam and manifolding specs to see if the new turbo specs changed what might be optimum for the cam and manifolding specs.

Here are the specs I use for my turbo, the FI91X, in case you want to play with them.
FI91X made by Forced Inductions, also known as the Borg Warner Airwerks S510/91mm, a derivative of the Airwerks S510 which comes standard with a 95mm compressor wheel.
Island CFM - 1300
Island pressure ratio - 2.6
Island efficiency - 78%
Surge CFM - 374
Exh turbine efficiency - 80% good pulse turbo
Turbine nozzle diameter - 2.2-2.37? I'll be able to narrow this one down better when I have some real world results with the new combination.
Max flow, CFM - 2404 assuming 1650 hp comp capacity. 2258 assuming 1550 comp capacity.
Throttle location - blow through
Max boost limit, PSI - 45
# turbo - 1 single turbo
Intercooler efficiency % - 45 -60? I'll be able to narrow this one down better when I have some real world results with the new combination.
Intercooler CFM rating - 2000
Wastegate is - before intercooler

Here are my notes on the FI91X.

Forced Inductions FI91X. (Airwerks S510)
91/123mm compressor wheel.
110/101mm turbine wheel. .918 trim.
Original turbine housing is a Borg Warner T6 S510 1.15 a/r.
Turbine side efficiency is 79 percent.
T6 tubine housing radius is 4.79" measured (5.93" calculated).
Use 2.95" nozzle diameter for 1.15 a/r.
Use 2.40-2.92" nozzle diameter for 1.15 a/r, split housing. Middle ground is 2.63". Realize that the a/r on a split housing is typically less than the noted number. For instance, a split housing stamped as 1.15 may in reality act like a 1.0 a/r housing. The divider wall takes up some of the area in the scroll.
Max PR for a 224 cid engine is 5.5 @ 125 lbs/min.
Max compressor flow occurs at 3.7 PR @ 165 lbs/min for 95mm. For 91mm 155 lbs/min? Wheel speed is 88,000 rpm.
Max turbine side flow is 70 lbs/min.
Turbine nozzle area (1.15 a/r measured): 2.486"x2.179"=5.417 square inches area=2.6269" dia.
Compressor flow in lbs/min @ 2.0 PR = 40.
Maximum compressor efficiency is at 2.6 PR @ 116 lbs/min (78%) for 95mm. For 91mm 2.6 PR @ 99 lbs/min.
Liquid intercooler dimensions: 9"x4.5"x10".
Exhaust back pressure to boost pressure measures to be .85-.95:1. A turbine nozzle size of 2.37 with 80% Good Pulse Turbo Exh Turbine Eff% picked gives a good exhaust pressure to boost ratio match for the Stage I build.
2.92 a/r simulates initial spoolup characteristics well. Exh/map ratio doesn't match well, though.
2.37 a/r simulates real world exh/map ratio well. Used in Stage I calcs.
Stage II calcs will use turbine nozzle specs of 2.20-2.35, and intercooler specs of 45-60% eff.

To answer your question. A 244/244 cam on that engine will pull well to 8,000 rpm. For a street car there's no need to go over 230-236. Even a 236 will pull to 7400. If you only want to turn the motor 7000 something in the 224-230 range is plenty.

To answer your question. A 244/244 cam on that engine will pull well to 8,000 rpm. For a street car there's no need to go over 230-236. Even a 236 will pull to 7400. If you only want to turn the motor 7000 something in the 224-230 range is plenty.

Thanks for replying Dusty, really appreciate it. This setup will be for the 25.5 twins car, looking for the ability to run 8's with the wick turned up. I would like to use enough of the powerband to take advantage of the SII heads, so pulling to 8k would be advantageous I would think, although most of the time (unless pushing it at the track) I will keep the revs lower.

Will the 244 kill power on the bottom end and/or street, not being able to build boost? Is the 236 a happy medium to not be a lazy pig on the street, but still use up the capacity of the heads? The car is basically a race car driven on the street so even if I sway more towards track performance and less towards street, I am fine with that. The car is over the top for the street as I am being told. :)

How would the 236 vs the 244 build boost at the line. That is one of my important factors too...

Yes the larger cam will hurt the bottom end spooling. I'd suggest the 236 with a shift rpm of 7500 will give you more than enough power to run 8's and spool quickly. 8,000+ would make better use of the Stage 2 heads but it simply isn'y needed for your goals.

I actually have a brand new Stage II roller cam that I picked up with a bunch of Stage II parts awhile back. The person I bought the parts from was planning on building a dual purpose car. He was going to use that cam with a set of Stage II heads with very minor porting (bowl cleanup, gasket matching, stainless valves). I have the set of heads, also.
The duration was around 235 @ .050, with, I believe 115 lobe separation. Odd fire nose.
I'll check on the specs when I get to the shop.
He was going to do a twin turbo deal, too.

I was wrong. I guess this fella was planning on tearing the streets up a bit.
244/246 @ .050
115 l/s
676/679 lift with ? rocker ratio. Numbers on the flap of the box. Didn't bother to pull the cam card out of the box.

What is the advantage of the 115 centerline over 110 or 108 please explain?
'