Ending Power Steering whine?

madhat

Everytime I start the car, it is quite, but after I dive it for a bit, turning much or not, the power steering gets a little heaver and whines/moans. Evertyime I pop the hood, I notice that PS fluid has spewed out of the little hole in the PS lid. The fluid is very brown(probably from dirt entering from that same hole). There is enough fluid in the system. Would flushing the system and adding fresh fluid solve the problem(also, do I just use a turkey baster to suck as much as possible out)? Or, is there something else I need to do?

Everytime I start the car, it is quite, but after I dive it for a bit, turning much or not, the power steering gets a little heaver and whines/moans. Evertyime I pop the hood, I notice that PS fluid has spewed out of the little hole in the PS lid. The fluid is very brown(probably from dirt entering from that same hole). There is enough fluid in the system. Would flushing the system and adding fresh fluid solve the problem(also, do I just use a turkey baster to suck as much as possible out)? Or, is there something else I need to do?

It is a good idea to get that old garbage out of there. PS fluid isnt really expensive. Suck it out like you mentioned, then put some fresh in there, then run the car and move the wheel to circulate it. Then suck that out of there and put fresh in. Make sure you fill it this time and see if your problem is gone.

Thats the cheap try.

If that doesnt work, go on the boards in the for sale/ wanted section and put a post that you want a PS pump in good condition or new.

- my 2 cents.

P.S. It wouldnt hurt to take your lines off of your car and run a pipe cleaner through there and get the gunk out from inside the lines. The lines are EXPENSIVE so i dont know if you want to replace them. This is a good idea whether or not you end up having to replace your pump.

When mine was groaning, it was due to one of the hoses being kinked.

Would flushing the system and adding fresh fluid solve the problem(also, do I just use a turkey baster to suck as much as possible out)? Or, is there something else I need to do?

No. Mine did the same thing and it's because of the steering reservoir. Take a look at the way the hoses connect to the fluid reservoir. I'll bet yours are one on top of the other. There is an updated reservoir that places the hoses side by side.

I forget the part number, do a search on steering reservoir and you should be able to find it pretty quick.

I got the updated reservoir from gmpartsdirect.com and the problem was gone :D

No. Mine did the same thing and it's because of the steering reservoir. Take a look at the way the hoses connect to the fluid reservoir. I'll bet yours are one on top of the other. There is an updated reservoir that places the hoses side by side.

I forget the part number, do a search on steering reservoir and you should be able to find it pretty quick.

It was the subject of a TSB in early 87. And it's a little more than just a new reservoir there were also new hoses that went with it. The old one had normal RH threads on the cap the updated reservoir has LH threads. Good luck finding the reservoirs now though. Discontinued

It was the subject of a TSB in early 87. And it's a little more than just a new reservoir there were also new hoses that went with it. The old one had normal RH threads on the cap the updated reservoir has LH threads. Good luck finding the reservoirs now though. Discontinued

Oddly enough. my old cap worked fine with the new reservoir :confused:

Or try this before buying parts....... suck the reservior completely dry with a turkey baster. Wipe the inside clean with a lint free rag. Fill reservior with a half bottle or full bottle of LUCAS Power Steering Additive. Start the car up cycle power steering back and forth, top off with PS Fluid as needed. Worked for me. HTH

Brian at GBodyParts has some used power steering resevoirs, ans also some that are new but similiar to the correct updated one. Lucas will solve almost anything.

I tried the Lucas in mine, in didn't help at all. It was pretty bad though. The only thing that worked was the new reservoir in my case.

that stupid cap gets me everytime because the threads are backwards, so I must have the updated one...I'll try fesh fluid and Lucas

That was a

factory recall when the 86's came out. Mine did the same thing.
The dlr had a bulletin, telling him to use a resevoir off of, I believe, a full size model...