emissions

jlat

hello people; Does anyone know the age of a car before emissions is not needed? Are we close?
IBBY

In mass., 1995 and older does not recieve the tailpipe test, only safety. They do a visual for smoke out the pipes.

hello people; To you fellow Mass Holes. Has anyone taken off there cat. converter? And if you did you replace it with a dummy?
I see in getting a sticker maybe a visual done for emission components if the test is not needed. And I wonder if they would look for an EGR?
IBBY

hello people; To you fellow Mass Holes. Has anyone taken off there cat. converter? And if you did you replace it with a dummy?
I see in getting a sticker maybe a visual done for emission components if the test is not needed. And I wonder if they would look for an EGR?
IBBY

Ibby i lived in mass ONCE and that was enough for me.:eek:

Alot depends on the DUMMY administering the test. Some may let it go and others may do the visual look to see if it is on.

IN NEW HAMPSHIRE They do visual but it doesn't have to function LOL!

IBBY Just buy a HIGH flow cat, put it on for test & when you get home put back test pipe.

Go to LOU,S custom Exhuast.. They made me a test pipe for $30- the Cat will set you back $90

I have no cat, I actually have a dump pipe installed. The inspection station I go to is very thorough, and the lack of cat has not been a problem. My wife's 84 GT hasn't had a cat in years and also has not been a problem.

I have no cat, I actually have a dump pipe installed. The inspection station I go to is very thorough, and the lack of cat has not been a problem. My wife's 84 GT hasn't had a cat in years and also has not been a problem.

hello people; With the lack of cat. did the exhaust get much louder? I do have a 3" cat. on there now but it's just a clogs the flow. I'm no balls out racer but things that can help I like. It might even help in MPG.
IBBY

hello people; With the lack of cat. did the exhaust get much louder? I do have a 3" cat. on there now but it's just a clogs the flow. I'm no balls out racer but things that can help I like. It might even help in MPG.
IBBY

Mine is slightly louder with test pipe.

Ibby just hollow your cat out.
I did that to a clogged s10 cat. My son & self pireced it with long metal bar. Just make sure you wear a mask & goggle because all that crap is fiberglass.

you may find this link useful :

Catalytic Converter

hello people; This stuff has been covered before on this board and I kinda forgot about all aspects. But the fake cat. thing came up but I do not remember anyone doing it. Well it's time to talk about it again.
Anyone in the TB world tried this item? Tell the people how it worked for for you. Good or Bad.
thanks
How's Maine these days. Thanks for the cum back.

fake cat

i have cat on , empty of all the fine stuff , anyone looks its great / the car came to life after the guts had been taken out . just a little more smell was added , gas rich smell . my car runs great no lights no codes . :)

i have cat on , empty of all the fine stuff , anyone looks its great / the car came to life after the guts had been taken out . just a little more smell was added , gas rich smell . my car runs great no lights no codes . :)

hello people; When I saw your name I thought you was the phuzzz.(police) Any old farts out there remember that TV cop show?
one adam12 see the man. I use to watch it.
IBBY

In CT I believe it's any car 25 years old or older. I know my '84 is exempt from emissions testing (26 years, just made it).

hello people; As stated earlier and confirmed. I contacted the reg and in Mass. 96 and newer passenger light trucks and SUV's need emissions tested.
Older just safety needs to be done. So I think it's time to rethink things.
IBBY

Ibby your makin a mountain otta molehill with this subject. Slip the guy a $20

10-4 on 1 Adam 12.... I grew up on that stuff.. I loved the drag racing episode

Ibby your makin a mountain otta molehill with this subject. Slip the guy a $20

10-4 on 1 Adam 12.... I grew up on that stuff.. I loved the drag racing episode

hello people; Yea your right but it's fun messin with the puter.
IBBY

not the turbo buick world your thinking of but 3800 SC as well as turbo conversions there are people running that fake cat and they report it is stainless and high quality

of course being straight pipe inside it will flow much better than a hogged out cat which causes a lot of turbulence going from small to large and back to small again

another option would be a cat off a late model they are pretty good compared to the old ones - many 11 & 12 sec FWD 3800's through stock cats...

Maine has no emmisions testing except in 1 county and I am not in that one.. but there is a visual and no cat should fail but... you know the deal :biggrin:

IBBY

It may get slightly louder but not much,what you will definetly notice is alot more exhaust fumes.if you leave the car idling + stand around it for a while,your clothes will absorb the smell + 2 hours later you'll be in the house + still smell it on your clothes.Especially if your car is running rich to begin with.
When i bought mine it had no cat,+ it had an old chip in it that made it run rich at idle,it would burn your eyes after a minute of standing anywhere near the exhaust + your clothes + hair would stink.You would even smell it in the car some when driving.
I got a tt chip which took away alot of the richness,+ made it more livable,but you still got exhaust smell from it,(a small price to pay for extra hp tho).
But from what i've read on a relativly mild street car a good high flow cat,eats up very little power,+ def makes it more people friendly,especially in colder areas where you have to let them warm up for a while.

hello people; Recently another member stated the same with the smell in and out of the car and he thinks it's his lack of cat. I know cars run rich when cold and I don't think they should when there up to temps. I'm no expert and I'd like to here more from the more knowledgeable TB owners on the subject.
IBBY

Even if the car is not running rich + if it is running exactly right,once you take off the cat ,you are going to smell exhaust fumes, because it's now putting out straight exhaust with no filter,The cat is a filter that cleans up the exhaust.
It's just the worse your tune is ,or the richer it is running the worse it is.
There is also the factor of how much you drive it. If you just take it to shows or for the occasional blast ,you may not find it to be a problem,but if it's your only transportaion,you may find it to be obnoxious after a while.
If your car is in pretty good tune + not running extra rich, + you have a good full exhaust, you prob won't smell it while driving too much or at all,Mine was just very rich at first,+ was terrible,but wasn't as bad after,but still had some smell.
The fact that the exhaust exits out the side not too far from the doors doesn't help,if someone gets in or out of the car while its running it tends to pull the ehxaust in the car,more then if the exhaust exited out the back like most cars.
But it's inevitable remove the cat or cats on any car your exhaust will now be raw unfiltered exhaust + smell as such.