emission test in texas?

bobs84ttype

i may be relocating to texas. there are no emission requirements where my buick is registered here in nevada. there is a provision for a classic vehicle registration .in nevada counties that require emissions testing.
my buick does not retain the stock emissions equipment and has a after market ecm.
Does texas have classifications that do not require emission testing?

Looked some info up, I will be at Ft Sam in Bexar County. Looks like I'm exempt from Emissions and will not need a safety inspection.

i may be relocating to texas. there are no emission requirements where my buick is registered here in nevada. there is a provision for a classic vehicle registration .in nevada counties that require emissions testing.
my buick does not retain the stock emissions equipment and has a after market ecm.
Does texas have classifications that do not require emission testing?

New residents are required to do the following within 30 days of moving to Texas:

Get a vehicle inspection.
Register and title their vehicle.
The vehicle must pass inspection before it can be registered and titled.
Both the registration and inspection process require proof of financial responsibility.

Texas has both a safety inspection program and an emissions (I/M) program. If you present your vehicle for inspection in one of the emissions counties it will receive a safety & emissions test.

Counties participating in the emissions (I/M) program include:
Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, El Paso, Travis, and Williamson counties.The Inspection criteria can be found here.

Once the vehicle passes inspection, an inspection certificate will be affixed to the windshield and the owner will be given a form VI-30. The VI-30 form is required by the Texas DMV for registration.

Gasoline powered vehicles 2 through 24 years old are required to have an emission inspection. If you are in an emission county and your vehicle is newer than 2 years or older than 24 years, you are still required to have a safety inspection. Go to our Emission Testing Information page to learn more about the types of emission tests.

If your vehicle is 25 years or older there's no emission inspection required regardless of the county you live in.;)

Yes, I'm always driving my antique to "the shop" for a repair if stopped and asked :)

I had mine registered as a Classic and got the plates. You don't have to have a safety inspection if you drive it less than 500 miles a year, but got it inspected anyway as I drive it more than that.
John

The safety check is 15 bucks in Denton County and all they check is that the brakes work and all the lights turn on. Other than that it's nothing major at all. You should not have any problems.

I had mine registered as a Classic and got the plates. You don't have to have a safety inspection if you drive it less than 500 miles a year, but got it inspected anyway as I drive it more than that.
John
That mileage is for antique, classic is unlimited. Antique, no inspection. Classic tag is a safety inspection.

Just easier to get the inspection than a go 'round with an officer on the side of the road. Some of them just don't want to be told the law.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited: