Electronic Boost Controller not necessary with 3"dp and 38mm external w.g.? ---

alwayscode390

If you use a 3" downpipe and a 38mm external wastegate you should have "rock solid" boost control, right?

The use of an electronic boost controller would be unneccessary with that setup?
Seems I never hear anyone talk about using them ... but when I do , the people SWEAR by it.

I have a Greddy Profec B-Spec 2 EBC ... but would rather not install it if I dont need to , thanks
icon_smile.gif
---

A couple things.

An electronic unit is cool, and some of them can increase your spoolup and control boost creep (via closed loop control). Some of them are really over-simple and don't have much advantage over mechanical devices.

If your wastegate is properly sized that it can control the boost, and is installed so that it can control the boost, then a mechanical control is the simplest way to go.

But, many of the new turbos have such low backpressure in the turbine, that the wastegates have a hard time controlling boost. The downpipe mounted ones have similar problems as the large flapper style, the exhaust just would rather go out thru the turbine wheel than make the sharp turn to go thru the wastegate.

Anyway, on the original question, the proper way to control a dual-port wastegate like that is with a pressure regulator. There is a diagram on here somewhere, but you feed compressor pressure right to the side port, and also to the input of a pressure regulator. the output of the regulator goes to the top port.

Make any sense?

Bob

Been using the Turbonetics one like the one we sell on my GN with great results, simple and once it is dialed in you are all set, of course you have to turn things down a bit once the cold weather hits. Plumb it like this.

vacuum line routing.jpg

Awesome, do I need a Manual Boost Controller with the stock setup if I turn up the boost?

I am thinking of keeping the car stock, adding a meth kit, and upping the boost to about 18lbs.

I dont think the 3" dp and external wastegate are in the plans for awhile ---

Any way to control 2lb boost increase in 3rd gear with 3inch internal pipe with rjc valve. Not much responce in previous post. This is not creep, instant spike with load. Thanks, Bob.

other than porting the wastegate hole to give the gate more control, no.

You could use the stock solenoid and a chip set up to drop boost in 3rd.