Electrical problem

LAWRENCE ELVOID

:) Can anyone out there give suggestions where to look to solve this problem??
84T-Type runs fair (because I also drive a 86GN) but will suddenly lose electricity and will not even crank. I can put a small charge to it and it will start up and run good again. The problem is intermittant.
The alternator is a one wire hookup from a later year buick. It charges at 14.77V when the engine is running. The battery shows 12.86V engine not running.

84T-Type 20K on rebuilt engine; 86GN DW neck intclr, chip, and large pipes to throttle body; 72 Vega carb turbo and cam; 84T-Type with 87 eng and chip, and more vehicles.

Thanks in advance.

Next time it won't start, take a big hammer and smack the starter a couple times and see if it will crank then...If it still doesn't crank, then you probably have a short in the wiring somewhere...If it does crank, the the starter is bad and either has a bad solenoid, or a dead spot on the armature...

Hope this helps...

How old is the IAC unit on this car. If this is bad you car won't turn over especially if it's been running and just shut off. Just a thought.

:confused:

That's the first time I've ever heard that one...

Would you mind explaining that one??? Not a flame, just trying to learn something here...

Lets see...a one-wire alternator connects directly to the battery, correct? You may just have a bad or dirty battery cable, and I would guess more than likely the ground wire, cuz it seems to me that if you lose the battery ground wire connection with a one-wire alternator, poof!

Ya - second vote here for the cables...try the POS cable at the battery connection. Usually gets corroded there...or might be loose. Maybe at the starter too - but if you loose all power - forget that suggestion. Its POS or NEG cable problem.

Next - try the grounds. Some are located behind the large ALT / AC bracket. They are grounds directly from the wiring harness etc...and are behind the bracket using the bottom bolt of the bracket and they ground to the block / front cover. Kinda a pain in dee butt get at.

HTH

we had a bad IAC the car would start the first time fine then after that I would have to give it gas to get it to start. Was sticking open thus causing our starting issue, that's why I asked if it would start then only start if given gas. I will look up the reply I got that directed me to check this out and find the issue, it's at home some where, was an excellent discription of why this can be an issue. :(But after re reading your post I don't think this is your issue, it sounds more like your ground has went bad also another issue on these cars as they age. But I will still post the iac explanation cause it explained our issue and why it was a problem. Sorry sometimes I read faster then the brain comprehends.... It's an age thing....LOL :cool:My mind tends to wander and sometimes forgets to come back....As promised the IAC motor (idle air control) The Ecm controls the actuator to control the idle speed sensor and alos uses it on engine re-starts. When you shut off, the ECM positions the IAC for the next restart the the ECM goes to sleep (powersdown) if the IAC didn't get to the right place (not far enough open) the next restart may be difficult and require the throttle opening. A couple things to look at bound up dirty or inoperative IAC, ECM not controlling IAC, bad CTS (coolant temp sensor) The ECM need to know coolant temp to properly position the IAC. Take the IAC out and clean it with carb spray and a toothbrush before you try anything else. This is what worked for our starting issues.