electrical problem

LBNJWE4

My clock is staying on with the ignition off, I noticed this when in storage and the battery kept dying. I put the fuse back in today just to see and it still stays on. If I remember correctly when I had it on the road before, t went out when you shut the car off. Is this a short in the radio? i noticed the radio works without that fuse, and the cigarette lighter is on the same one. Also, the interior lights don't work without that fuse, at least the ones under the dash, dome is burnt out. Anyone else experience this?

Problem is in radio. a normal feature of the factory radio is that with the key off if you push the top knob the clock comes on for a few seconds. mine did this once and was able to play with the knob and it finally went off and has been fine since.

Thanks, I will give that a try, tried hitting the power button a couple of times with no results, forgot all about the volume button though, thanks alot!

could also be a problem with how it is wired if someone had previously cut/spliced the factory connectors. if the power supply wire (that is supposed to be wired through the ignition switch) has 12v on it all the time, it will drain your battery. but if that's the case, the radio will also play when the ignition is 'off'. may be worth checking the wiring.
bw jones

could also be a problem with how it is wired if someone had previously cut/spliced the factory connectors. if the power supply wire (that is supposed to be wired through the ignition switch) has 12v on it all the time, it will drain your battery. but if that's the case, the radio will also play when the ignition is 'off'. may be worth checking the wiring.
bw jones

Thanks for the info, It is the factory radio, never molested harness. I tried the volume switch, it didn't work yet, so when I do pull the unit out I will check and see if the wires got pinched though, I had it out twice over the years to have the cassette player fixed. Maybe I pinched it sliding the unit back in. Radio does not play with ignition off, just the clock stays on. I am thinking about getting one of those 80's looking Delco cd players for it.

NO NO NO it is the radio display which pulls around 350 milliamps which will pull the battery down. The problem is inside the radio with the ic that runs the diaplay light. Call the local Delco shop and ask them about it .I have heard some refered to it as a trim capacitor. It is not your wiring mine does the same thing and I am trying to decide if I want to go to another radio or have this one fixed..

Hi,
Yeah, one of my cars has the same problem.It is a generic trouble with mid 80s Delco radios. That, and the right channel burns out with regularity.I have a stack of f ed up radios at my shop with similar issues.

Mine had the same problem, got it fixed about a month ago, $65 with a new belt for the cassette player also.

battery drain

To those out there with Battery Drain ... I have found the problem!!!

If the Radio Clock stays on with the key off then if your car sits for around 3 days or more it will not start. So what you end up doing is you jump start your car and then go driving around for fun and to charge your battery. To fix this problem you can just disconnect the battery each time you put the car up, but that is a pain. This battery drain drove me nuts and so I put lots of time into tracking this problem down. I knew that the drain was around 350 milliamps and it have to be something that happened due to age to the car to cause the problem OR when the car was new everyone would have just taken them back to the dealer to fix the problem. In other words the car did not come with this problem. I did pull fuses until I found the problem circuit and it was on the CLK fuse. The CLK has lots of circuits on it and is one of the two power sources to the Radio. This circuit powers the memory for the radio stations, time and the radio will not work with out it. I remembered that GM car radio’s that have a clock go off if you turn the key off, and you can push in the volume knob to get the time with the key off. So I went back to the Internet to search for problems with the GM radio clock. I found the there are tons of Turbo cars out there with this same problem and lots of guy with the wrong ideas as to what is wrong. I found that there is a circuit that controls the clock and that some guys had this fixed by a radio shop but they really didn’t know what was fixed. I have had this problem for years and I wanted to know all about it. I then pulled my radio and replaced a shorted circuit and now the clock goes off when the key is off. I can let my car sit for weeks and it will still start, and it’s a healthy start. There is no battery drain period. I can fix your radio for $39.95 including shipping it back to you. Here is an added bonus to fixing the radio clock and if you think about it makes sense. There seems to be a lot of turbo cars that just die and or miss at idle. My car would do this, but does not seem to now, since I have fixed the clock. I believe that this is due to the battery having a full healthy charge. This puts the correct voltage to all sensors and the computer. I still need to have some more time to test this but I have noticed a difference just leaving a traffic light and at idle. So if you would like to have your radio clock light repaired then pack it good put your name and return address on the radio and then send it with $39.95 to David Ellis 9560 Heatherdale Dallas, TX 75243.

David Ellis

Ellis@davidellisrealestate.com

Home

972-849-8880