Electrical Problem and tranny issue

litz

OK, 1987 GN 60K miles, sat all day at the airport, started up all fine, driving noticed the Right sided turn signal indicator is on constant, not blinking, just lit. Turn of the head lights and it goes out. Turn signal not blinking, but dash light on constantly. When I turn the turn signal on, dash stays lit constant, but turn signal works, I cna see trun signal reflection in car ahead of me. Get home, look around the car, and notice the front turn signal in bumper and corner lamp both not lit or blinking, dash still on constant, and rear fine.

Today, daylight, turn signal light on constant, even with head lights off. AND NOW, tranny will not shift into 4th, sometimes goes to 3rd and sometimes not, meaning when it wants to hit 3rd, it goes to neutral or nothing. Had to limp home in first and second shifting to neutral down hills to get some speed. Started out fine, but after 4 miles took a dump and lost 3rd and 4th.

are these two related? Tranny has been built, has 10" Hughes converter L/U, has not been slipping or anything.

Any ideas?

Good news is these are not related so now the bad news.

1st lights, check all the bulbs for good bulbs replace as necessary and test. If this does not solve issue then check your grounds to all the lights in the bumper area amd then the dash. These cars do have some issues when it comes to grounds and is usually the cause fo these types of issues next to dead bulbs.

2nd Check your transmission fluid. If it is low you may experience these types of issues. Next check your TV cable. If this is too tight it will cause you some weird issues. If non of the above then drop the pan and look for material in the pan, you may have lost the band or the clutches at that time it comes to pulling and a rebuild.

On your light problem assuming the bulbs and grounds are good you might try removing and reinstalling the speedo cluster. I had the same problem pop up one day and I found that by wiggling the cluster and just lightly tightening the 4 screws that hold it to the dash got the light to come off.

Eric Fisher

Thanks for the replies, will be dropping the pan, and most probably the entire tranny this weeekend. I really prefer being in the car then under it, but I guess you need to do one to have the other.

With regards tot eh electrical, I will check the cluster after bulb inspection.

Thanks and I will let you know the outcome on both.