Electrical Grease for spark plug wires

BlackoutDrunk

Spring Loaded Idiot
This might seem kinda dumb but...:rolleyes:

I would like to get some opinions on using electrical grease on the spark plug wires. I just got a new set of Russ Merritt wires (thank you Russ) and I was wondering if I could get some opinions. My car hopefully will never see rain or snow. It's not a daily driver. Is the grease necessary? and if so is it more of a protection against heat or moisture or both? When I pulled the wires and checked it appears that no grease was used previously.

I use dialectric grease from napa inside the boots. Helps conductivity and the boots are easier to remove when needed.

I have always used dielectric grease on the inside of the spark plug boots to seal out moisture,dust,dirt and overall to prevent corrosion and aid in the removal of the boots from the spark plugs.

It does no harm so i will continue using it.

The dielectric grease is also good to use on electrical connections / connectors and light bulb sockets. :smile:

eh I'm sure everyone knows not to take anyone who would call themselves BlackoutDrunk too seriously. ;)

I'd use the grease on all other sets of wires except for Russ's. I'm in for a set soon too Russ thanks. Just because I hate using a Q tip and dielectric grease. LOL:biggrin:

As I understand it (from an old hot-rodder co-worker of mine :cool: ) the dielectric also acts as a heat sink. I just squish the stuff into both boots and all of my light sockets to keep 'em sealed due to the high humidity here in Houston.

D :)

I like to use dielectric grease on all electrical connections. I've never had a problem with it. Every since using it I have never had to fight to get a sparkplug wire off. :wink:

I put mine on from Russ and die electric grease , should i send them back for a new set :D

You have to be careful with dielectric though it is It is not recommended for use on computer connections at all, works good on light sockets and such I used to use it on a lot of things till I did inspection work for Allison Transmissions and its a big no no on computer connections for sure, low current things. thats what the big boys said anyway,

I use Ox-Gard from GB ,Gards against oxidation,improves conductivity,and produces a cooler connection:p

definition, poor conductor of electricity, but an efficient supporter of electrostatic fields. which is why Allison didnt like it can send a spike back to the ecm when the field collapes
stops corrosion and moisture

Used on my jeep for years 4x4ing deep sea diving ...Used it on all electrical connections and plug wires?Huh I guess you learn something everyday:redface:Thanks