Electrical Fire Help

XMAN

Guys,
I have an 87 gn and I had the AC on while waiting to pick-up my daughter from school.
All of a sudden I heard a noise come from under the hood(banging noise & it also sounded like radiator was overflowing) so I quickly turned off the AC and the car. I raised the hood and saw smoke and sparks coming from the starter area.
With the car turned off every 3 minutes I would hear this loud noise coming from under the hood. I started the car to leave the school and it sounds like I am dragging my tail pipe then it would stop and start again.
I get home pull the starter and it smells burned, and also the battery wire seems to be fused to the fuseable link.

1) What caused this. (starter or AC)
2) I need a starter ASAP which part store sells a mini starter for our cars
3) Should I replace the Positive wire and links (if so where do I order)

wow that sounds pretty serious.i would have been crapping in my pants until i got the battery disconnected.sounds like battery lead shorted to starter/car somewhere. definitely install a new cable,check all the OEM wiring ( all the cars power leads hook to starter battery + post too). check everything very close before hooking battery up again.any other questions,ask.

get a new + wire from Caspers... a little longer than stock so it fits BETTER !!! :wink:

Thanks for the assistance

Guys thanks for the help, I will definately give caspers a call.
BTW I was about to crap in my pants. I was the first car in the school line with a bunch of soccer moms in minivans behind me. :eek:

When I used to pick up my daughter from junior high she was embarrased to be seen in my GN. Now that she is in H.S. she likes to go to the track with me. Go figure.