Electric Water Pump and Fan Upgrades???

83turbomon

Starvin Like Marvin...
so nobody answered my question on the general engine tech forum... so im going to try here... Since my timing system needs to be replaced, I was thinking of fixing the water pump and cooling system as some simple performance mods on the car. I was thinking of buying an electric water pump for my 83 TB and taking off the fan and spacers in replacement of an electric fan... I SHOULD probably get my car running right first, but I would like to do this. my AC system is already disconnected and condensor and AC systems will probably come out to give it a bit more power. A Good Guy here on Turbobuick.com (Turbofabricator) offered to fix my engine in return for painting his t-type in my class... any feedback...

Electric fan...yes. Electric water pump... um ...NO! It won't allow for higher flow and cooling as the engine RPM increases. As far as Turbofabricator goes, he's a good guy to deal with. Aj has delt with him before and he's been on here for a long time. I would say that you need to be there so you can learn about your car if you agree to the deal though. Knowledge is one of the best things you can get.

my AC system is already disconnected and condensor and AC systems will probably come out to give it a bit more power.

Where are people getting this information from?:eek::rolleyes:

My truck is slow, I better go rip the a/c out of it;)

Well their is some truth to that. First off you loose some weight + the engine has one less belt to propell freeing up some horsepower (maybe 2/3 hp). Overall if the equipment is broken and you don't live in a warm climate it's worth doing.

My AC didn't work when I bought the car, and I don't use it anyway. So when AC parts came off as part of other repairs, they didn't go back on.

I went with a dual electric fan and wider V8 radiator. If I were doing it again, I'd go with single and the narrow V6 radiator. Without narrow radiator and no AC condensor in the way, you could route the air cleaner filter hose/cone assembly to right behind the grille.

Without the AC and SMOG pump, I have one short belt running around the crank, water pump and alternator (and another for the power streeing).

Well their is some truth to that. First off you loose some weight + the engine has one less belt to propell freeing up some horsepower (maybe 2/3 hp). Overall if the equipment is broken and you don't live in a warm climate it's worth doing.

its generally cool where i live so i might do it...

Here is what I did on my blowthru '84
to keep costs down my #1 goal I used: a 3 row stock radiator out of a wrecked olds cutlass with a olds 350/307, plenty big enough for a turbo v6 and it was free if I could get it out of the wrecked car, which I did. Then......
I did some measuring and found out that a stock electric fan and shround assembly from a Chevy Cobalt with the 2.2 ecotec fits directly on the radiator covering all the cooling area, easy to mount to the radiator and the fan is already on it, Another freebie from a wrecked Cobalt. Works great for me. and I have $0 in all of it.