Electric Turbo

Peter

Has any one tried one of these ? See attachment.

It has an electric motor that will spin the turbo up to give boost at low RPMs. Sounds like a good idea?

Originally posted by Peter
Has any one tried one of these ? See attachment.

It has an electric motor that will spin the turbo up to give boost at low RPMs. Sounds like a good idea?
OK Peter what attachment, or was this just a tease :p

attachment

Sorry guys I forgot the file size limitation. I have reduced it to 28K ,hope its still visible.:D

Attachment

I have it at 28K in "ipg" and it will not attach. What am I doing wrong?

Electric Turbo? Never heard of it, however sounds like a good idea. I remember my old sport coupe didn't spool until you layed into the throttle pretty good. With my current setup, under normal driving conditions, I always get about 2-3 psi boost. Its good and bad. Good on gas, but works the turbo all the time! If you can please e-mail me a pic of this electric turbo, id like to see what it loooks like. My address is pretender124@hotmail.com
thanks!:D

Is it the "e-turbo" by Garret?

I've seen designs for belt driven & compressed air powered turbo's to help with spool up before. Neat idea;)

Before trying something like that, there are three thing that should help spool up on an early Carb/Turbo:

Bigger Downpipe.
0.63 A/R Turbine housing.
Relief Valve in-line with wastegate actuator.

Does the electric supercharger mount to the compressor or turbine side?

Very exciting!

Definately a step in the right direction.
Now, if they could only make the turbo ALL electrically driven & remove it from all that heat of the exhaust gasses in the turbine side. Imagine what a cool charge of air it would be capable of making:)

Now, if they could only make the turbo ALL electrically driven & remove it from all that heat of the exhaust gasses in the turbine side. Imagine what a cool charge of air it would be capable of making

then you would have an electrically driven centrifigual supercharger instead of a turbo. :D

Yeah, that would be the idea;):D

But wouldn't it :)confused: ) still be a turbo if it was just a variable speed electric motor turning the compressor side of a turbocharger & the exhaust housing removed?
centrifigual superchargers aside.

:confused: