EGT in downpipe?

azgn

anybody running their egt in the downpipe, after the turbo vs in the header up-pipe?

I am looking for some relative temp readings (WOT) for downpipe readings....I was showing 1266 or so last nite with it in the downpipe and I was usually right around 1500 in the up pipe

as another reference, 02's never got below 790

Out of curiosity Woody why would you move it to the DP from the header? Also, I thought the best place for the probe was right at the leanest cylinder as opposed to the "collector"/up-pipe. I ask because my headers are having an NPT fitting welded on Monday for a K type thermocouple. I was planning on placing it off the rearmost cylinder on the driver's side. Thanks for any advice.

Slow it down....

Woody, you better stop it you're going to fast with that stock block that has no girdle and 55's!;) Just kidding around.... Congrats on your new best times! Your car is really flying and would easily be a 10.50 car with better air and at sea level:) :cool:

Dean

you have the right idea in putting the sensor on #5......I just always had mine on the collector but got some ATR headers and clamping the sensor won't work there and to weld stainless is a bit of a problem...ergo, the downpipe...it really doen't make any difference as long as you know what values are nominal....find the sweet spot and tune around it....right now my sweet spot is 1266:D

'Brick

yeah, I am flirting with disaster I am sure, but it sure is fun!

I'll get a 10.5 out of it next winter when it cools off......then I'll be done;)

Thanks for the reply Woody. I hear you with the problems with stainless. I'm going to use a mild steel bung on my stockers. ;) Thanks again.

Originally posted by azgn
'Brick

yeah, I am flirting with disaster I am sure, but it sure is fun!

I'll get a 10.5 out of it next winter when it cools off......then I'll be done;)

You sure could use one of them TA aluminum blocks! Maybe Nick could hook you up with a deal on one along with the TA aluminum heads:D :cool:

I am looking for some relative temp readings (WOT) for downpipe readings....I was showing 1266 or so last nite with it in the downpipe and I was usually right around 1500 in the up pipe

To some degree, the temp drop across the turbo depends on how much energy the turbo is pulling out of the exhuast gas, so there is a rather large latitude. But, with that said a guy I know did move his like you did, and saw a 200-300 dF temp drop. The range was do in part to the different boost levels he had been playing with.

but got some ATR headers and clamping the sensor won't work there and to weld stainless is a bit of a problem...
I have ATR headers and have mine mounted with the SMC clamp right at the turbo mounting flange. No problem. A clip is in the lounge.

I will try to get someone to help me slow the video down. I couldn't:mad: If you take it frame by frame or slow-mo you will see the yellow connector and wire going back to the firewall from the front-side of the header.

The thread is "It's Alive".

Congrats!

Bruce

thanks for the info...2-300 degree drop would correspond with my previous location

Re: Re: EGT in downpipe?

Originally posted by bruce
To some degree, the temp drop across the turbo depends on how much energy the turbo is pulling out of the exhuast gas, so there is a rather large latitude. But, with that said a guy I know did move his like you did, and saw a 200-300 dF temp drop. The range was do in part to the different boost levels he had been playing with.

By that logic then the EGT reading will vary with boost. If I am understanding it correctly, if you place the thermocouple before the turbo then one number should be the sweet spot Woody refers to. Placing it after the turbo would suggest to me then that every boost setting would have a different sweet spot. That sounds like a real PITA to me.

Great thread BTW. Good info.

Dean

you have the right idea in putting the sensor on #5......I just always had mine on the collector but got some ATR headers and clamping the sensor won't work there and to weld stainless is a bit of a problem...ergo, the downpipe...it really doen't make any difference as long as you know what values are nominal....find the sweet spot and tune around it....right now my sweet spot is 1266:D

Ya know, the Gallina's are coming up again in May. Don't tell me you're going to miss out again on our "patented" below sea level air days ? ;) Throw 'er on a trailer and bring 'er on up. I got a spare bedroom and a driveway big enough to hold a couple trucks and trailers. :D

Clayton

I would love to visit you guys in BC and would really like to try some of that good air.....I appreciate the invite, but, sadly, not in the cards this year (what I need is a C130 that is deadheading to BC...that is a long way to tow my car:D )

Clayton

I would love to visit you guys in BC and would really like to try some of that good air.....I appreciate the invite, but, sadly, not in the cards this year (what I need is a C130 that is deadheading to BC...that is a long way to tow my car:D )

Jimmy's a pilot, maybe he can help out ;)