EGR

How do you tell if EGR is bad? I fail smog guy said it ,might be EGR. When i pulled off vacuum line thats on the top of the 3way check valve it hissed air. Ive never heard that. Does that mean EGR is bad?

With the engine running push up on the egr diaphram and see if the engine stumbles a little, if it does the egr is good, Also what chip is in the car now, if it's a TT chip Eric turns off the egr function
If thats the case get yourself an emissions chip burned from Eric.

I just replaced the EGR in my truck, it threw a code 32.
remove vac line to valve , push up on diaphragm plug vac port with thumb

the diaphragm should stay up , if it slowly starts making its way down, its leaking.

This was the case with my truck, and replacing valve solved problem.

Also , I have "heard" that a bad EGR will effect the NOX portion of your emissions test.

HTH

ita a stock Turbo T with 27000 original miles. but it sat for a long time. ill try to push it up and see thanks fellas i appreciate all the help

FWIW when you pulled the top hose off the three way check valve you were releasing the vacuum stored in the vacuum canister in front of the drivers front wheel. The air rushing out is a good thing as it indicates your check valve is more than likely functioning properly. Here is the factory chart for testing the EGR valve.
upload_2014-7-3_21-51-47.png

That sums it up pretty good. Most originals leaking or the diaphragm is shot by now. Mine went a bunch of years back. probably time for a new one.