EGR Valve Rattling

scottyb

Spongebob Squarecar
About 2 months ago, I noticed a funny noise while accelerating slowly thru 1600 RPMs. It would only do it under load, so I aquired the help of a buddys foot to hold the brake while easily revving the motor while under hood looking. The noise was the EGR valve - the part with the arm attached to the diaphragm. If I touched the diaphagm while the noise was happening I could feel it vibrate and when I apply some pressure, the noise stops.

Fine. Easy repair. Old tired EGR valve. I get a new one from GM and install - noise gone.

Fast forward to today. Guess what? The new one started making the same noise.

Why am I eating EGR valves?

EGR solenoid operation

Ok,
I removed the vac line from the EGR valve. Viola! Noise gone.

This leads me to believe that the solenoid is "operating" at this RPM/load. I always thought that the EGR operation was at cruise and didn't expect it to happen at this level, ie mild acceleration. I can get to to continue making the noise if I can maintain 1600 rpm in 3rd gear, but only with the vac line attached.

I guess regardless of EGR solenoid operation, the valve should still not make noise.

What does this noise sound like? Can you describe it?

I have a high-pitched, solid beep like sound through certain RPM's while accelerating. In the warm weather, I had something that sounded like a croaking frog in my dash at certain RPM. The croaking sounds more like a vibration, but this whistley, beep-like sound is still baffling me.

(No silly responces anyone, please, it's NOT the turbo spooling :rolleyes: )

There is a small filter at the end of the EGR selenoid and sometimes it needs cleaned. It's covered by a small cap. Dunno if this is your problem, but could cause a slight malfunction in the operation of the selenoid if plugged.

Originally posted by GrndNatnl
What does this noise sound like? Can you describe it?

I have a high-pitched, solid beep like sound through certain RPM's while accelerating. In the warm weather, I had something that sounded like a croaking frog in my dash at certain RPM. The croaking sounds more like a vibration, but this whistley, beep-like sound is still baffling me.

(No silly responces anyone, please, it's NOT the turbo spooling :rolleyes: )

There's a frog stuck in your compressor. :D

It's almost like a ringing/chirping sound. It happens almost exactly at 1600 RPM's thru maybe 1650. When I first heard it, I thought it may be an accessory bearing or the belt tensioner banging against it's limit. I can make the noise continue if I keep the rpms at 1600 in 3rd gear, constant speed.

On a side note, I noticed knock at part throttle today, while accelerating at ~5lbs of boost. I've never had this before, so I think I need to keep the egr functioning until I get it resolved or get a non-egr chip burned. I plan to pursue the possibility that the cause is a failing EGR solenoid. I got a response on ******** that the solenoid may be pulsing and causing the rattle in the valve. I'm gonna try to aquire a known good solenoid and test, and/or check to see if mine can be cleaned.

I had a simular sound and replaced the EGR valve and the sound returned in a few days. But I also ordered the 3 port vacuum valve and 2 port check valve and replaced those and also replaced the EVAP 2 port check valve (same as the inline one for the EGR) and the noise has since ceased. May be worth a try.

Hmm, let me try...

Two boards fell off my roof today so I went to nail it back and what do you know? I got hit in the head with the other board.

**************** www.**************** www.t6p.com hmm...

Time to go eat some people, er I mean Soulent Green! :p

James,

You've had too many Coronas & lime!

It's:

solenoid, not selenoid

soylent, not soulent

thirsty, not thristy

Don't try driving for an hour or so! :eek:

(j/k) :cool:

update thru the fog:

I replaced the vac line, noise returned.
I removed the EGR solenoid, cleaned (as best as possible), and replaced the filter with a homemade foam filter. The original filter must have had a small gasket/grommet to seal and hold it, but the remains of those fell out in pieces when I popped the filter cover off. Maybe a small chunk of that was back inside the solenoid and hindered it's operation.

Noise gone with everything connected properly. I went on a 20 mile cruise in city driving: no noise, plus one riced WRX. :D: I'll keep you posted if any noise returns in the near future.

Thanks for the tips, and the tipsy!

Not sure what my noise is then. It's like a ringing, but not a chirping.

I also noticed some part throttle knock last night actually. And on the shift, not even being in the throttle hard. Just normal light acceleration. I'm not even going to bother with it. I'm going to drive it until the weather gets warmer and give it so someone to fix. I'm tired of chasing these stupid BS problems.

I take it TB.com and TB's.com arent getting along to be blocking each others names from posts? How childish is this? We're all the same people and same community. We have 3 boards now, and that rocks, but its a pain to keep up with them all.

No drinking here! Well some times, one, or two many :D Thing is I don't have spell check when I post from work and I sometimes misspell things throughout the day. I'm also just driving myself insane since my Buick is down. It's coming back together though, and going to start prepping for paint soon.

removed the EGR solenoid, cleaned (as best as possible), and replaced the filter with a homemade foam filter. The original filter must have had a small gasket/grommet to seal and hold it, but the remains of those fell out in pieces when I popped the filter cover off. Maybe a small chunk of that was back inside the solenoid and hindered it's operation.

Awesome! I suggested that filter since I had forgotten about the one on my car too. I didn't even know it was there until another buick guy showed me.

James