EGR port on the block. Clogged?

phillyturbosix

Staff member
I took the intake off my 86 to have it powder coated when I noticed what I think is the EGR port on the block was clogged solid. I went in for a closer look and some of the carbon just broke off in my hand. Is this normal? Should I clean it all out? I also noticed the same thing on the other side of the block as well. I'm running a turbo tweak chip so I'm sure all the EGR stuff is dead anyways but I was just wondering what to do with/about it. Here are some pics...

Attachments

• Intake0001.jpg
    Intake0001.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 555
I dont think it will affect anything. The EGR is disabled already, and even it the car goes through emmission's WITH a working EGR it only comes on during cruising correct?? I guess you could clean it out. I have the heads off my car now and I thought about getting those holes welded closed, but i'll probably just leave them alone.

Ah ok thanks for the replies. I talked to one guy I work with he said to just clean it out but I guess it will only happen again as the EGR is all turned off in the chip.

Jim,
I'm not sure which car this is, but now might be a good time to think about replacing those stock valve springs.

Hey B I was thinking the same thing. This is on the 86 I just bought off Joe. The 87 has new 100lbs ers in it. Wanna come over and help me change them out? :biggrin: I've never done them and knowing my luck I'll loose a valve into no mans land! :eek:

hey six its chris from philly ,moss said we don't need all that cat crap anymore. maybe take it to him and he might do just a visual,he passed my car but then again mine is registered as a classic now