EGR Delete?

DWB47

I have my intake stripped, prepping it for paint, and I realized how much cleaner it would look with out the EGR. I have searched and I can't find any detailed info on deleting the EGR on a hot air. From what I can see all I need is a block off plate, a plug for the whole where the pipe goes, and cap off the vacuum lines to the solenoid. Am I missing anything? I read one post that hinted that a specific chip would be required to get it to run right without the EGR. Is this true? Where can I get a block off plate for a Hot Air? I know it doesn't really affect performance but while I have everything apart I would like to get rid off it, it just seems like something else to be in the way and possibly go bad. By the way emissions testing is not a factor. Thanks.

I have my intake stripped, prepping it for paint, and I realized how much cleaner it would look with out the EGR. I have searched and I can't find any detailed info on deleting the EGR on a hot air. From what I can see all I need is a block off plate, a plug for the whole where the pipe goes, and cap off the vacuum lines to the solenoid. Am I missing anything? I read one post that hinted that a specific chip would be required to get it to run right without the EGR. Is this true? Where can I get a block off plate for a Hot Air? I know it doesn't really affect performance but while I have everything apart I would like to get rid off it, it just seems like something else to be in the way and possibly go bad. By the way emissions testing is not a factor. Thanks.

As far as I know, there is nothing on the market for a HA EGR block-off.
The EGR is only used at cruise and you have no emissions testing requirements so I donlt think you will have any issues.
What chip ar you currently running?

FWIW;
I have some friends with a TTA, and that car WILL NOT pass emissions testing without the emissions chip with EGR activated.

I am currently not running any chip. I only owned the car a few weeks before the motor went. Once I get it back together it will stay stock for a while, at least until I recover from the expense off the motor.

No one markets an EGR block off plate for the hot airs.:mad: I made one out of a piece of 3/16" flat steel. Traced the EGR base, drilled a couple of hloes for the bolts, bought another gasket, and whalla. BTW Turbo Tweak makes the chip with the EGR disabled.

thats all you need to do. once you get a turbo tweak chip it wont matter as the egr function is turned off. there is also several ways to block the egr ports off. one make a plate and use a pipe plug for the intake. other is to weld the egr port shut and grind it smooth and then use a frezze plug in the back of the intake to plug it. or you can weld that area shut to. here is a picture of an old intake that i did. my current intake i welded both shut.

Attachments

• DSC00180.JPG
    DSC00180.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 216
Thanks for the input guys. I can handle making a plate or welding the holes shut. I'll look into the turbo tweak chip. I had planned on leaving it stock for a while, but this sounds like a good excuse to go ahead and get a chip. Boost231 that is a nice looking intake.

thanks, i sold that intake years ago to a member here and havent heard much about it since :( anyways a turbotweak chip on a factory car will make it run better anyways and he has free reporgraming for a year if i remember right

I'm having a hard time finding a plug to fit the EGR inlet on the back of the intake. It seems the plug is just a bit bigger then 3/4" pipe thread. Does anyone know what size plug I need? Also if I were to use a freeze plug do I need to put anything on it to help it hold or just find one that fits snug and knock it in?