EFE equipped or not???

1982 Riv T-Type

Hi Guys,
My first post....just picked up a dandy `82 Riv T-Type with a turbo 3.8...I`m having cold driveability problems with it. I am a mechanic and have covered all the obvious bases but have a question about the EFE system on the `82....according to the factory lit the heated grid in the carb base gasket did not start on the Riv Turbo until `83-Buick mentions it in the `83 dealer`s manual but not the `82 in the "mechanical features" section. My car does not appear to ever have been equipped with EFE as there are no unaccounted for wiring pigtails,etc...is the `82 Riv turbo supposed to have the heated grid? If so, anyone have a source for it? Anyone have a pic to post? Of the connector to the grid, the relay and switch which controls it? Thanks!
Tom Mooney

The '82 Rivera didn't come out until midyear. I don't know which it had for sure, but if it didn't have the grid, it should have a vacuum EFE just after the driver's side exhaust manifold. The wiring for the grid is pretty heavy gauge - pink and black wires with a white connector on my Regal.

I took my grid out, (actually they burn out easily and are big bucks to replace) and it didn't effect much. The plenum heat fro the EGR makes a big differance. The trap door THERMAC air cleaner helps out some too. When there is enough heat, the engine will bog on accelerartion.

All I can tell from the parts catalog is that an EFE is listed for the 82. I have a relay and a grid listed but no vacuum valve on the exhaust. I've always thought the 82 and 83 Riv was the same. I've had a few 83's but no 82's so I cant say for sure. Strange that no plug is there. I have a source for a new EFE grid. $140.00 shipped to your door. I think the relay is mounted under the dash on that year. I also list an EFE grid for the 81 turbo Riv so I assume EFE was used on all CCC turbo Rivs.

Thanks for the response Rich and Eric!
I was a little premature regarding my first post, been a rough week, only a few minutes here and there to play with the Riv...
I did find the pigtail for the EFE grid, I expected to find it immediately around the carb base but found it closer to the pass side valve cover, the relay is mounted to the air compressor bracket on the driver`s side fenderwell but I was unable to find the temp switch? In the `81 shop manual there is an illustration of the temp switch in the rear of the intake plenum but I couldn`t locate it even with a mirror, tough area to get a good look at. But I used a test light at the EFE grid pigtail and the system operates as it should so all I need is the grid itself...
Eric, can you supply the necessary info to obtain the grid you mentioned? Thanks in advance!
Just an FYI...I found the most significant cause for my cold driveability problem...the engine was getting EGR operation when cold and most probably at other inappropriate times when in Off-idle operation....temporarily plugged the vacuum line to the valve...MAN! This thing really woke up! Starting to drive like a classic Riv should! I think the EGR solenoid is stuck open, but that`s the next project!
Thanks again guys...Eric, if you could supply the info about the EFE grid it is much appreciated!
Tom Mooney

Just an update on my cold driveability problem....I obtained an NOS EFE grid thru my local GM dealers obsolete parts source (Thanks for the part number Eric!). While installing it I noticed the vacuum tube which extends from the upper pass side of the carb body was cracked and loose. This is a direct manifold vacuum source. After installing the new grid and repairing the vacuum tube the Riv operates as it should when cold. No stumbling or hesitation thruout the warm-up cycle. ;)
Thanks to Eric and Rich for responding to my posts! Next, I`d like to open up the exhaust and dial in more boost....any suggestions for a high performance bolt-in converter and perhaps an adjustable wastegate?
Tom Mooney