Edelbrock vs. 4.1 combo

Finallall

OK guys,

I'm on the fence here and need some advice. Should I stick with the 4.1 intake and Q-jet I have. Intake needs to be ported and the Q-jet has to be rebuild. Or should I get the Edelbrock Performer intake and 500 cfm Edelbrock carb and be done with it?

The thing about the 4.1/Q-Jet combo that scares me is the fact that I have to rebuild the q-jet and I don't know how hard that is to do. On the other hand I cound pay the $500 and buy the E-Brock intake/carb and be done with it.

Sugestions?

Thanks.

is not that hard rebuilding the carb just get you a haynes manual....if u going to spend 500 on an intake and carb you might as well carb turbo you might come out a little cheaper you will get better results

it's not hard to rebuild a quadrajet- and you don't need any sort of a manual to do it. the kit will come with instructions.
i don't know how good the stock 4.1 intake is, but an Edelbrock intake isn't too terribly expensive.

to save some money i would search ebay i had 4bl edelbrock intake 5486...that i won off ebay for 60.00

The intake is $189 but the E-Brock carb is $309 from Summit. I think a well ported 4.1 intake will flow as good as an e-brock intake if not better.

I was just looking at the q-jet I have and it's a computer controlled unit from an 81 4.1 seville. Can I make it work without the computer?

You will need the puter to make it work. BTW what's your name? I don't remember what year your car is either. The Q-jet will give you better gas mileage and off idle performance you just need an eariler one. Trucks and cars both use them and after 78 they all came with 800 cfm rating. If you get one of the early ones, 68-72, they work real well and can be modified to get whatever you want.

Well I did some research and I can't use this carb without the computer! Sucks! It's an E4ME. Well I think I will sell it and go with the Edelbrock combo.

Ahhhhhhhhh........

By the way my name is Alex and this is going into a custom application in the back of a Fiero.

Thank you Alex. You need a M4 not a 4ME, and if I remember right all Fiero's came with a puter so you should be able to use the factory harness to some degree. I know you said it was a 4 banger but was it carbed or injected? If carbed not a whole lot to change to use the E4ME and then you're ready to go. Maybe some plugs will have to be changed and the puter but not a whole lot overall.

Well I bid the bullet and bought the E-Brock intake and 500 cfm carb. We'll see how it goes. I now have all I need to run the E-Brock combo. Cam/timing chain/intake/carb. We'll see how it runs hopefully this summer. I'm shooting for mid 14's in a 2400lb car.

good luck, im doing the same combo in a regal, what are you gonna use for headers/exhaust in the fiero?

if your using the feedback carb (the carb with an electrical connection on the front pass. side), throw it away it many parts inside of it that haven't been available for 10+ years. Get a regular quadrajet at a junk yard, they are very easy to rebuild much easier than a holley or edlebrock/carter. the rebuild kit will run you $15 and take you 30 minutes if it is your first time rebuilding one.

if your using the feedback carb (the carb with an electrical connection on the front pass. side), throw it away it many parts inside of it that haven't been available for 10+ years. Get a regular quadrajet at a junk yard, they are very easy to rebuild much easier than a holley or edlebrock/carter. the rebuild kit will run you $15 and take you 30 minutes if it is your first time rebuilding one.

your crazy to say its eaiser than a holley!

holleys are way way easier.

A.j.

Aj, he's right about using the Q-jet but he's wrong about the parts not being available. I have a ton of them including 2 800 cfm versions. The only 2 parts in the carb that are electronic are the mixture solinoid and the tps and I've never had a problem getting either. Q-jets have been even been used by chrysler and ford for their high performance engines.

I second that opinion. The electronic parts are still easily available. Everything else is recyclable. :cool:

But I have to agree that Q-Jets are very difficult to repair. I made it a hobbie so it's easy for me.

Maybe that's what he means, once you know how they're put together and how they work it all makes sense and becomes second nature. Holley's and Edelbrocks, (Carter AFB), are for babies. If you can't rebuild those go play with go-karts. :tongue:

The intake is $189 but the E-Brock carb is $309 from Summit. I think a well ported 4.1 intake will flow as good as an e-brock intake if not better.

I don't think so. You'll have to port and add a spacer, (Edel sits higher, you'll have to get a 2" air cleaner or cut the hood open). There's a segment in Rochester carbs that gets into the designs. For the work involved on a 4.1, (which could be hit or miss), get the Edelbrock.

I have both. The Edel outclasses the OEM. But the OEM is very good if you want to keep it stock.

If you port it and add a spacer you flow better than an edelbrock and you stay emission legal if you have to. To be honest I prefer the Holley street dominator. Lots of meat to port and match unless you can find an old weiand Smokey Yunik intake. As far as cutting the hood open I've never had to for mine but that doesn't mean you couldn't for fresher air to the carb.

No emissions requirements here in Alberta, Canada. I went with the edelbrock combo + 500cfm edel carb. We'll see how it does. As for hood issues I don't know what they will be since this engine is going in the back of a Fiero.