edelbrock 5487 cam

matcojoe

i was thinking of getting the edelbrock 5487 cam. when i called summit racing tech department they said it wasn't computer compatible. i have seen some of ya guy's have said you like this cam but i'm not sure. i'm in the process of rebuilding the motor and need to replace the cam (flat lobe). rebuilding it pretty much stock, 30 over speed pro forged pistons, stock turbo, arp head studs and a new flat tappet cam. i liked the specs on that cam, a little over stock but not to big. just wanted some feedback.

I've used the Edelbrock #5487 204/214 camshaft before and it works great in our turbo v6 engines, no problem at all.

cam

I pulled my 212/218 comp cam, and install that one the power band is lower and has real good power pulls real hard up to 5300 haven't pushed it past that didn't see the need.

any computer problems, need tuning or anything like that. i have an aftermarket chip just don't know what one. by the way i forgot to tell ya it's going in a 86 grand national.

I have that cam in my car and it is great. Smooth idle, great power through the entire range, pulls hard. No issues whatsoever. That is a popular cam for these cars, whether it is an Edelbrock or another brand. (someone else makes a 204/214, but forget who)

Make sure you break it in correctly, use a zinc additive like ZDDP or a similar Lucas product, and you will be good to go. I have tens of thousands of miles on mine and no issues with it at all. And, to be honest, I have never run zddp or zinc other than at break in. Most guys will say to run it in every change of oil, but I am not too overly concerned with this motor, trying to get my stuff together to build another. ;)

Oh, and if you don't know what chip you have, try to find out by posting info up here on it. When in doubt, contact Eric Marshall @ turbotweak. Great chips! Smoother idle, better drivability, no stumbles, etc. He knows his stuff.

did a search found a lot of info on various cams including this one but not much info on tuning with that cam. i am new to the turbo scene, just got the car a few weeks ago. i'm from the old school cam, carb and headers era.

i'm pretty sure Speed Pro sells that exact same cam for about half the money.. in fact, i'll go out on a limb and say that the Edelbrock cam is just the Speed Pro cam in a different box with the "Edelbrock" premium added on.

I've been searching and can't find speed pro cams for sale ..am I missing something...any one have a link

cam

i'm pretty sure Speed Pro sells that exact same cam for about half the money.. in fact, i'll go out on a limb and say that the Edelbrock cam is just the Speed Pro cam in a different box with the "Edelbrock" premium added on.

Edelbrock cam comes with lifters speed pro does not = difference in price

did a search found a lot of info on various cams including this one but not much info on tuning with that cam. i am new to the turbo scene, just got the car a few weeks ago. i'm from the old school cam, carb and headers era.

Tuning with that cam is no different than tuning with a stocker. It is not radical enough to have to make any big changes or adjustments. Again, great cam. :cool:

For more tuning.....

ability, ie. fuel/timing, you can go w/the TT chip or one of Bob Bailey's translators and chips. either will give you the ability to sqeeze out more H/P. it should translate to low 12's for the average tuner.:biggrin:
A word of caution from conspiracy theorists: Buick hid a virus in the TR some where, that causes an addiction to "BOOST!":eek::eek::biggrin:

just stripped down my intake to clean it up, problem is the injectors were stuck pretty good( some came out in pieces). they look stock and i was considering replacing them. any advice on what to get, size, brand that sorta stuff. any info would be helpful. thanks in advance. also thanks to all that have helped so far.