Edelbrock 5486 intake

Yes, but you'll need to remove all computer controls and go with parts off a 79 or earlier car. You'll also need to use either a holley (preferred) or eldelcrap carb.

It is not in conjunction with the turbo, just another option instead.
Keep what you have and for dear good do not buy there junk cam. (i had hell with there cam) i had that setup edeljunk cam and intake holley carb and switch to the turbo setup. Then switched to the 301 modified turbo setup. Then added nitrous to the 301 turbo setup, then removed the nitrous because i had to use a modified homemade fiberglass hood. its a vicious cycle of spending money... just my opinion

Hi,

It seems you have already started a topic I was about to ask here, so forgive me for borrowing this one.

Is there some specific reason why this manifold won't work with turbo ?
I just took off the heads and intake from a 1979 regal turbo, and the cast iron intake is heavy as hell.
EGR stuff has been removed already, so that won't be an issue.

Since I have a draw-thru setup, I'd assume a plenum to break turbulence needs to be made on top of the intake (if I remember correct the turbochargers book).
How about knock sensor ? Is there a place for that one in the manifold, or would it need to be moved to the block like in later models ?

Another option I have been thinking would be to go for blow thru setup with the mighty demon BT carb. (a second hand unit for sale in my home town currently)
I'd assume the edelbrock would work for that one ?

-Mikko-

Welcome to the site!
Edelbrock manifold can be used for either draw through or blowthrough configuration. This manifold is a dual plane design that focuses on enhancing the low to mid range power production. These manifolds are not the greatest for boost with fuel shear issues but will work with a stock drawthrough system with a plate made for the intake carb pad that the turbo can sit on. Definitely an improvement over any original drawthrough intake manifold. The absolute best intake manifold is a single plane open plenum design that promotes free breathing in mid to upper power ranges and little fuel shear or puddling.
Yes just move the knock sensor to be used in the block except the very early draw through turbos had it on the intake manifold.
Draw through is much simpler in any configuration but has limited upgradeable parts/turbos while building a blowthrough setup will have the best performance and parts/turbis are much more plentiful and can also use an intercooler unlike the drawthrough.

Thanks Adam for the great information!

There seems to be a 1987 manifold available second hand around here as well.
I believe that would be single plane with an open plenum.
Would you know of experiences with that type of setup ?
The injector holes would need to be sealed properly, but I believe the heads were similar enough to be able to use that option as well ?

For the info, Your welcome.
I have no experience using the lower EFI intake manifold as a carbed base and No one else has used the later lower EFI intake as a platform for adding a carburetor yet that I km now of. That would work great and it was designed for boost anyways but would be more labor intensive to accomplish vs an intake meant for a carb. That IS another option but no one has done that as of yet.

Well, we have a long winter here in Finland, so plenty of time before the car is driven next time :)
Modifying the EFI intake would be tempting, and probably even cheaper.
Then again, the edelbrock would likely be a safer bet.
Is it the runner lenght that causes fuel shearing with dual plane manifolds ?
I assume this issue goes worse as boost pressure increases ?

The shape and tight radius of the runners on the Edelbrock along with it being dual plane 180* intake, the fuel wants to stick on the runner walls.