Edel intake installation...

231_natural

The edelbrock intake I got prescribes using Fel-Pro#1200 intake gaskets to install. Can someone explain to me what a valley pan gasket is for and if I need to use that as well? Is there any other gaskets/parts I will need to install this intake.

Thanks

The edelbrock intake I got prescribes using Fel-Pro#1200 intake gaskets to install. Can someone explain to me what a valley pan gasket is for and if I need to use that as well? Is there any other gaskets/parts I will need to install this intake.

Thanks

The factory intake gasket is a stamped steel gasket that is connected so it is large and keeps the oil from hitting the pcv valve. There are after market valley pans that will fit between the front and rear of the engine that take the place of the factory one and then use the Felpro 1200 gasket. This way you are shielded and the pcv valve won't suck oil from the engine.

You can do what the instructions say and use the Fel-Pros. My experiance was that after a year or so the rubber seals that come with it still leak. I then used the valley pan gasket from Victor Reinz, (MS-15958). It comes with its own sealant in the package which is outstanding. Best suff I ever used. Nothing comes close except Edelbrock's Gask-a-cinch.

Thanks for the response. So would you recommend just using the valley pan gasket instead of the Fel Pro? Also, I've heard that you should use a valley pan gasket for a turbo engine because it has a smaller hole for carb heating. I think the fel pro gaskets have no hole for carb heating. Do you know if that's true?

Thanks again

Thanks for the link. That's interesting. I think that's a little different than a valley pan gasket though. That seems to be just some kind of oil splash guard without a gasket aspect to it. The valley pan is a all in one splash guard and gasket I think.

yes thats what you need to run the 1200s.

What your thinking of is the stock gasket, for the smaller ports. the edelbrock intake is designed with a larger port in mind.

you can use the stock type gasket on the edelbrock intake, I would just suggest some port matching be done, or you wasted your time on that intake.

If you do decide to use the 1200s, you WILL need to use that pan as seen in that other thread. it does the same function as the stock type, but its in 3 pieces vs. one. I have in the past used a stock type valley pan gasket and cut the intake sections off, then used 1200s on the ports.

either way, the aftermarket metal pan, is better. It will help the PCV from picking up oil, solved many smoking problems I had by this switch alone.

A.j.

okay, that makes sense I think.
The port matching thing is news to me...the edel intake is designed only to be used with 79-83 heads (off there website), why would you need to port match to my 83 engine? There is nothing in the instructions from edelbrock about port matching either.
Do you think the splash guard is necessary for a street car? Would the PCV really suck that much oil with it?

Thanks

okay, that makes sense I think.
The port matching thing is news to me...the edel intake is designed only to be used with 79-83 heads (off there website), why would you need to port match to my 83 engine? There is nothing in the instructions from edelbrock about port matching either.
Do you think the splash guard is necessary for a street car? Would the PCV really suck that much oil with it?

Thanks

Ok, have you actually seen a 1200 gasket yet? or do you have a stock gasket on hand? hold it up to the intake and line up the ports. if you have the stock gasket on the intake, you will see that the gasket hangs over the port. the port on the gasket needs to be opened up to match the size of the port on the intake. the same is suggested on the heads. These ports should all match in size. The 79-83 year coverage is only because thats the only years they had a carb - more of a legal thing. This intake goes very well with a set of 8445s.
I didnt think the Alum Valley pan was all worth it until you drive like me. I tend to be a crazy (emphasis on crazy) driver and like to slip and slide, make fast corners, anything that sloshes that oil around will cause a smoking problem if the PCV is located on the back of the intake. Hold the engine on the highway @ 6000Rpm to work everyday and it will start sucking crazy oil. been there done that.

The reason I stress that a port match should be done, is because the benifits of the edelbrock are reduced without it.... it will flow only slightly better than the stock 4.1 manifold if ports are untouched. I mean, thats if you want all you can get out of it.

If your not worried about making serious power then just assemble using the stock felpro valley pan and be done with it. so if this is a daily driver or just something for fun, then dont worry about the 1200s or alum valley pan.

but then again, i remembered you bought a cam.......... might as well get the most of it.

:biggrin: A.j.

P.S. if you want I can take some pics for you later to explain a little better

Thats great thanks. I will definately go with a valley pan then. At the top of the thread you mentioned Whites racing. Does it matter which company you get it from or are they all the same(amp or whites, etc.

If you got some pictures available I would really like to see them.

Thanks alot

it shouldnt matter as to where it comes from, hell lay out your stock gasket and cut an aluminum one yourself.

I did, just that and used rtv on the ends, worked OK, but it sealed better using the rubber ends.

I'll get some pics, they might be low quality (cell phone) but they might help out.

A.j.

Got my 500cfm carb today, looks great, can't wait to get it installed. I was looking at the vacuum lines, and emissions equipment on there now and was wondering a few things.
I'll get right to the point...

IMG_1158-1.jpg

Rear Vacuum Break? What does it do and will I need it?

IMG_1162-1.jpg

Front Vacuum Break? What does it do and will I need it?

IMG_1160.jpg

On a vacuum line between the vacuum advance on the distributor and the dualjet. What is it? Will I need it?

IMG_1157.jpg

Steel line looks like it goes to the power brakes?

Theres a few others i was wondering about to but I'll start with this. Thanks in advance...

Since you've decided to use the edelbrock you don't have any emmisions equiptment now. If you need them for inspection you're screwed.:eek:
The first pic is one of the choke pull ofs as well as the second. The Edelbrock doesn't have a place to hook them up since it's not a stock carb.
Until you get the engine installed with the intake don't worry about anything else.

Yea I kinda planned on dumping most of the emissions stuff. But I just wanted to get an understanding of what I had and what I was losing before I tore it all a part and had a bunch of vacuum lines and parts left over.

Another thing I was wondering was if the transmission has any vacuum going to it?