ECM pins help

are_one

Well I finally tracked down the periodic problem I've been having. The wiring harness connector to the ECM is somehow getting moisture in it and corroding the pins. My ECM is a few months old, and it feels like pin C16 is loose (+12 V pin). How do I clean the pins? And will the car act right with a loose pin?

Is it a T top car? I had that problem with moisture on the right side floorpan. It was the heater box not sealed when some retard replaced the heater core and decided it was necessary to seal the box back up. I took out the ECM and bought some electrical contact cleaner and a small brass wire brush. The loose pin thing, I would try to fix. Signal/voltage/ground could get interrupted intermittenly casuign some problems. Although, I do not know off hand what C16 pin is for.

Originally posted by are_one
Well I finally tracked down the periodic problem I've been having. The wiring harness connector to the ECM is somehow getting moisture in it and corroding the pins. My ECM is a few months old, and it feels like pin C16 is loose (+12 V pin). How do I clean the pins? And will the car act right with a loose pin?

Been there, done that! After fighting nagging problems for a year, I found my C-16" pin GONE! :eek: Sheared off flush, lost, never to be found. Replaced the ECM and it's like driving a new car! You can do what I did: after cleaning the connector shell pin "holes", buy a tube of "dielectric silicon" grease, fill both cavities in the ECM, reinstall the connectors (grease should ooze out all around the perimeter), and finally clean up the excess with a paper towel.

Thanks for the help fellas. Thanks S10xGn especially, because you jinxed me. My C16 pin has broken off completely. I guess I need a new ECM, anyone know where I can get a decent one?