ECM, EGR, TC lockup, and other random questions

eastwoodad

Ok...sorry for all this...i've got an N/A 81 regal with the 3.8 and a th-350C and i am new to this forum...so here goes...

1st...i know the ECM controls functions such as primary adjustments on the carb, (whether stock 3.8 or using the 4.1 intake/carb conversion), torque converter lockup, and minor ignition adjustments. my question has to do with the distributor. is there a way i can convert the stock distributor to operate using mechanical/vaccum advance as opposed to by the computer without getting a distributor from a pre-81 car?? will there be any advantage to this??? the reason i ask is i am not totally certain i want to retain the ECM or not.

2nd...can i block off the EGR and will it make a difference (good or bad). if i can, how do i?? is it just removing the valve and plumbing and putting a block off plate on the intake??

3rd...are there any major differences between any of the even fire heads??? which casting numbers are the best?? i have heard through Kenne-Bell that 76-83 heads can only accept valve lifts up to .420 while the 84-87 heads can take up to .460 lift...any thoughts

thanks and sorry for the long post

1. I have never heard of anyone converting an ECM distibitor to vacuum/mechanical advnace. The ECM gets feedback from the distributor, so swapping to a non-ECM wouldn't work either. I think you need to control fuel and timing togther (w/ or w/o the ECM).

2nd. EGR v;aves seem to have a short life, so your's may already be dead. If not, simply unhooking the vacuum line willl disable it. If it's working, I would keep it. When mine is bad, I can tell becuase the engine will knock quite a bit while cruising down the highway or under part thottle acceleration.

3rd. Even fire came out in mid-77, but I don't think it effected the heads. In 1979, the heads received much larger ports. I don't think there were any major changes after that.