ECM Conversion Box

Real-T

Not sure if this type of device has been requested or even possible but how about an injector conversion box ?

Traditionally the method has been to be to send in your ECM, have it modified internally and then have it returned.

Some of the downsides that I can see are the turnaround time and the possiblity of failure. Now I know these are simple problems solved by just being patient and the fact that replacement ECMs are available (although some effort may be involved in finding a good one easily)

But how about a box that can be mass produced, tested thoroughly and have lower likelihood of affecting existing setups.

My thought is that since it is just the driver being replaced, the new driver can be placed between the ECM injector driver harness output and the injector harness itself.

BAsically it would have a saturated driver input to it, and then the output would be current-limiting or "Peak and Hold'

I don't know what the level of complexity is involved with this and I guess one thought that crosses my mind is that if this was such a good idea then someone would have done it already.

I know AEM makes one that is a 10 driver, but how about a Buick vendor doing one ?

Thoughts ?

This would require quite a few parts since you would need power in the box too. It could easily be done in fact we did it many years ago. It is more expensive than a conversion ECM and they did not sell. If there is demand we could sure look at it again
Mike

Mike Licht said:
This would require quite a few parts since you would need power in the box too. It could easily be done in fact we did it many years ago. It is more expensive than a conversion ECM and they did not sell. If there is demand we could sure look at it again
Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I imagine too that this device would use the same Injector drivers that have been discontinued for quite some time. Add that to the cost of making a casing for the unit and then overall manufacturing costs and I can see it being more expensive than modifying an ECM.

The Buick community being small, and that likely there are not enough users left that need (or want) to go to bigger Low-z injectors (with the stock ECM), and this venture would not be beneficial.

As an aside the AEM unit looks like a universal and involves wire splicing to install, it is also made for 10 drivers and costs about $300. I think other markets will likely take advantage of this device, but given the maturity and "simplicity" of a solution for the Buick market, not likely here.

Did I just answer my own question ???? :rolleyes: