Eagle Cranks

With the steel cranks and a good set up rods 80% plus
of the buick guys would not need a Stage or TA Block.

Narrow journal rods

John,

Here's a budget minded idea for you in regard to rods. If you find a nice set of used On center Carillos they will be wide journal. These can typically be found for about $600 a set and come with the 7/16 Carr bolts.

Have your local machine shop narrow them to the journal width and take the material off one side. You could have the material removed from both sides also as more than one person has run On center rods in an Off center motor.

Neal

Thanks Neal.

My junk is a 4.1 On Center, so I can just have the standard
rods resized? That is a great idea.

How is your car doing, I have not heard from you in ages?

John,

The car is doing fine. I haven't raced it much recently. I've been playing with some rear suspension stuff and I have a trans brake in the car now. I'm hoping to see a 9 second timeslip this year. For right now I'm just a slow ass 10 second Stage II guy. :(

Neal

Neal,

Your stuff runs, so you are up on me!
I sent you an email.

Stock balancer and flex plate CAN be internally balanced. I ain't sayin it's the thing to do but it can be done. George Montgomery did it on my motor last year.

How risky is it to machine the flexplate? I was going for a new balancer anyway even if I used the stock turbo crank.

Thanks,

It isn't an internal/external thing, but more a stock vs sfi issue. The balance is achieved by opening up some half moon slots to match the opposing full holes, removing some pressed in weights and then balancing.

For competition use the PS book recommends heli-arcing the started ring to the plate and drilling new smaller crankshaft mounting holes that are a tight fit for the bolts. The latter couldn't be done in an external balance (assumption alert!), so one might conclude that the stocker would be better off in an internal balance scenario.

If the price is right I'll probably go with the rebalance part only since I'm building a slowazz 11.5 second car with a brick outhouse shortblock. Then I can step up once I learn how to drive and tune (or should that be tune and drive?).

HTH,
Tom

My TA motor is going to be built with one of these cranks and ATR rods.Nick Micale is doing the build ,so he will be able to tell you what they require soon,hopefully.I was going to do a stroker,but the eagle set up is wayyyyy cheaper when you look at it compared to the current prices of the other forged and billet cranks out there.Most are $1600 or so just for a forged one.I know the ford and chevy guys here beat the crap out of Eagle parts and they survive well.There is no doubt it will be a quality peice.

Question.....

Would you need the Interrupter ring from a stock balancer to attach to one of these aftermarket BHJ balancers or does somebody sell an SFI unit that already has the Interrupter ring attached (does the BMS balancer that you can get from GMpartsdirect have the Interrupter ring?)? Please help me understand this:cool:

Originally posted by John Wilde
Steve O.,

The BHJ Units have the ring!

John, thanks! You are da man!!!:D

Reason I asked is somebody told me last night that you needed to get the ring and attach it to the BHJ, but maybe he was thinking about the BMS?? Either way that is good to know:cool:

From discussions I had yesterday the cranks are zero balanced so the stock flywheel and balancer should work. They were designed for use with the stock stuff.

Originally posted by CallMeMud
From discussions I had yesterday the cranks are zero balanced so the stock flywheel and balancer should work. They were designed for use with the stock stuff.

If this is the case that's very good news for most of the stock block guys!!! Who did you have discussions with? Eagle?

Originally posted by CallMeMud
This is incorrect information!

The Eagle crank is zero balance. This means that the ENTIRE rotating assembly including the crank, flexplate, and balancer have to be INTERNALLY balanced.

The stock crank is external balance. This means that the ENTIRE rotating assembly including the crank, flexplate, and balancer are EXTERNALLY balanced.

You can not use two external balanced parts (stock flexplate and balancer) on an internal balanced crank!

The stock parts will not work with the Eagle crank unless major modification is done to make them all the same balance type.

just understand, the BHJ balancer is not dead on .......ie it advanced my timing 4* plus becuase it was slightly out of register

be careful if you are not running FAST

I would also be worried about the power rating of this crank. I have spoken to eagle just last week about 1000+ hp crank for a small block chevy and was advised by them not to use their crank. I don't see this V6 crank being capable of 1200+ from whoever rated it. I'm glad to finally see these released but from the small block cranks we have seen locally, a lot of them are actually installed at .10/.10 because they are not dead on from the manufacturer. I would by one in a minute if I needed one but would definately have a machine shop check it out before installing it.

Woody is right always check the timing when installing a BHJ.
You will probably have to change the Crank Reference Angle.
This is not a big deal, unless you don't do it!