Eagle crank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you know, maybe those cranks could be Made In America if the guy with the tongs only wanted a bowl of rice instead of a half million dollar home, a vacation home, a speed boat, 4 cars and 2 plasma TVs...

:rolleyes:

strike eagle are you volunteering your self for a bowl of rice? didnt think so. The bottom line is this if the cranks are 30% stonger than stock it will be good for alot of people here. I hate the free trade agreements but our millionare politicans all love it along with a the CEO's who moved overseas. American workers DO NOT increase the price of products the company owners just want the same profit as if it was made by a 12 year old. :mad:

Actually, make mine pork fried rice.

You know, it doesn't matter what I think because the world is getting smaller and the laws of economics will dictate. The fact of the matter is, if some guy in God Knows Where can make it cheaper, you're out of a job.

Is it right that the rich get richer? Maybe not. But a fundamental law of economics says that you don't make money unless you pay folks less than they're worth. My boss does it, your boss does it, the stockholders love it.

Does it suk. In many ways, you bet.

Originally posted by strikeeagle

You know, it doesn't matter what I think because the world is getting smaller and the laws of economics will dictate. The fact of the matter is, if some guy in God Knows Where can make it cheaper, you're out of a job.

Is it right that the rich get richer? Maybe not. But a fundamental law of economics says that you don't make money unless you pay folks less than they're worth. My boss does it, your boss does it, the stockholders love it.

Does it suk. In many ways, you bet.

Very true!

Chuck Scat cranks and rods are made in china just like eagle only scat machines there stuff here . I had a 468 bb chevy ,we made over 1000 ponies with stock 3/8 chevy rods and an eagle crank . A company down here will not even sell eagle anymore because of quality control(tapered journals,balancing issues) . I agree with Nick if you have your machist check your tolerances you should not have a problem .:)

I talked at length with the guys at the Eagle booth at the PRI show. They conceded that in the past they had problems controlling tolerances. They made a point of telling me all about the improvements and investments they have made in their machine centers.

I guess time will tell if their products are worth a damn. But it is good to see somebody building BUICK parts instead of SBC, SBF or ricer parts. I am glad to see we will have an alternative to the stock cast crank.

just my thoughts

Dave

The machine shop I use does about two motors a week with Eagle cranks. In the past slight problems were there. He said lately all of them have been checking out okay. Maybe they have a handle on it now.

Originally posted by ESP Products
The point is not China's quality, although it is questionable, but the fact that U.S. of A. jobs are lost in the deal. You have lower prices to start, BUT you lose many manufacturing and other jobs along the way. We, the USA, used to be the #1 in the world. But "Free Trade Agreements" designed to help our economy have shown time and time again that they have killed it. Pay attention to the details; look at the consequences; see the big picture. What happened to Europe "EU" in currently happening to us. Don't believe it? Look up FTAA on the net (Free Trade Area of the Americas). They just had a summit meeting in Miami of 34 nation; ... 34 other Nations deciding our future. Go United Nations (sarcasm).
I could get very long winded and technical and boring because I feel strongly about this subject. For more information you can go to www.thenewamerican.com This is an excellent publication. Last issue (bi-weekly) was titled "Engineered Extinction". They are hard on Wal-mart, and others, and you will see why.

Hope this helps,
John @ ESP
"Made in USA"

I agree with this 100%. Our country is built on manufacturing.
We are all doing fine now but having everything built in china and nothing made here will get us in the long run. In this case it is good to support a vendor that supports us Buicks but That old saying "buy american" is the best thing we could do with everything else.

hungry-hungry hippos was the only toy in wal-mart that I could find that was made in the USA. ;)

Eagle

Just a point that hasn't been mentioned. Eagle will NOT be making rods for our cars. I spent quite a lot of time discussing this with them and they just don't see enough volume to produce them. It is unfortunate but I guess we are stuck with stock or big $ rods.

jobs

I think you have to look at the big picture.The company making these cranks is not a huge company with a large amount of employees. If you look at the overall import and export trade in most areas we are better off by doing this. There are three big problems, large American companies that are moving overseas to avoid pollution laws and obtain cheap labor, oil prices that go up and never come down to where they started and stores like Walmart. We all buy at Walmart because of the cheaper prices. What is scary is that in some areas Walmart is the biggest employer. I know people that work at Walmart(not myself) and they do not make the best wage. These people have to buy what they can afford and not look at where it is made. We all own televisions. Do you know how many American companies make televisions. ZERO There is the Sony plant not located far from me but it is more of an assembly plant than a plant where the whole process is done. How much tea and coffee is grown in the US. Zero. For the year 2000 we exported 1,97.6 billion dollars worth of goods, that is 11% of the gross domestic product. In the year 2000 we imported 1,468.6 billion dollars of goods, 14.7% of the gross domestic product. One other thing most people don't know. When you call 800 numbers to get assistance with companies most of those employees you are talking to are in India. Those people got to college to get this work, and for them it is a career. Those would be jobs that should stay here in the US. I expect to get a lot of flames over this but the fact I was trying to make is keep the big companies here in America. If a company with a small base of clients can help, let them.

Re: Eagle

Originally posted by re-evaluating
Just a point that hasn't been mentioned. Eagle will NOT be making rods for our cars. I spent quite a lot of time discussing this with them and they just don't see enough volume to produce them. It is unfortunate but I guess we are stuck with stock or big $ rods.

This is weird, I just talked to them in november at SEMA and they said yes to rods.

Re: Re: Eagle

Originally posted by Race Jace
This is weird, I just talked to them in november at SEMA and they said yes to rods.

:confused:

Guess we'll just have to wait and see...........

Jace,

I talked to them out at SEMA and they were very elusive about the whole Buick subject. They told me they were "considering" a crank and rod package.........Fast Forward to PRI..........They didn't have a problem telling me about the crankshaft and did say that rods are out of the picture.

These companies base alot of their capital investment decisions on expected sales. I'll bet that if we all started bombarding them with inquiries and requests for a rod/crank package. They might start to think that there is a bigger market than they first estimated. (Which I beleive is true)

If we can convince them that the Buick Community will buy a reasonably priced package, they will make the investment in the rods too. Heck these people just announced that they are gonna make cranks for the Chevy 2.2 Ecotech motor. Now thats a big market!!! yeah right!

Here is their email address:eaglerod@netten.net <eaglerod@netten.net>
Send them a note.
Tell them what you want.
I've done it in person, but I'm just one small fish in the Buick pond. There is strength in numbers!!!!!

Dave

TA Performance is planning to do a forged, stock replacement rod in the near future.:)

Originally posted by strikeeagle
Well you know, maybe those cranks could be Made In America if the guy with the tongs only wanted a bowl of rice instead of a half million dollar home, a vacation home, a speed boat, 4 cars and 2 plasma TVs...

I'd settle for a job that i know will still exist in 5 years. Been in tool and die for 20 years and getting a little old to start a new career!:(

Just a point...

Eagle will NOT be making rods for our cars.

I spent quite a lot of time discussing this with them and they just don't see enough volume to produce them.

No shock or surprise there.

Economics 101...supply AND demand dictate it.

A constantly dwindling supply of LC2s remaining from the small total ever produced, coupled with the relatively small market demand for hardcore high-end race pieces for them make that decision completely logical.

(The supply of new aluminum blocks potentially entering the market will be of such a small number as to have a negligible effect on demand.)

If these chinese 3.8 cranks ever do actually arrive in late '04 and are of verifiable quality, better get one fast, because with no real ongoing steady sales after an initial small run, (demand again) they will predictably be discontinued.

The most realistic options for 3.8 LC2 & Stage race cranks & rods are most likely going to remain what they are today...high dollar, high quality, but still available ...for hopefully another decade, possibly.

I spoke to them LAST WEEK and they said the rods are on! I have no problem with the Eagle stuff, everything has always been round but it has also always required .001x brgs too as they machine all of their stuff on the tight side of the book, if that is the same deal on the Buick as it has been on the Fords and Chevys, we will probably be cutting them .010 under to get the clearance where we run it. We have used a BUNCH of their stuff in turbo and blower applications in street cars running deep into the 9's with no failures. There is no way they will be as reliable as a high dollar forged or billet unit but it will be an affordable and surperior alternative to the no longer available cast piece

Originally posted by ILBCNU6
[B..... "Scat" makes a good SBC forged crank for $1200 while the Buick V6 one is $2200? Why? ............ Gene [/B]

Because the Buick crank is a billet steel one made in USA.:)

Billet crank runs about $2400 + balance. 4340 steel billet rods run $941
for the set. Delivery is about 10-12 weeks. 50% deposit required.
--
Thanks for your interest in Crower,

Crower Cams & Equipment Co., Inc.
3333 Main Street
Chula Vista, CA 91911-5899 USA
Phone: 619-422-1191
Fax: 619-422-9067
http://www.crower.com

Status
Not open for further replies.