E85 Question

richburke03

Ok so I have a GN with the following mods: RJC downpipe, testpipe, crossflow exhaust, 60lb injectors, Accufab FPR, scanmaster, Walbro 340, hotwirekit, 160 degree thermostat. Everything else is stock. Its also a 9k original mile car.

Can I safely run e85 on the setup with a new TT chip? What kind of power can I expect to gain?

Thanks Guys

i dont think that walbro will like the ethanol. And the only power you gain from the ethanol is that it allows you to run more boost while it prevents detonation alot better than pump gas. It also allows you to run a bit higher timing as well. if your car has 9k original miles i think you have done too much to it already leave it in the garage its probably very nice. i would'nt do a damn thing to a 9k mile car its going to drop the value on it pretty hard.

WRAP IT IN BUBBLE PLASTIC AND DON'T TAKE IT OUT FOR 10 YEARS!:p

I have been debating this issue for over a year. Some things needed to be replaced like the exhaust. I have kept every original part down to the tires and spark plugs. It is one of the cleanest GN's I have ever seen.

But the delima is I dont plan on ever getting rid of the car. And what fun is a 14 sec GN and getting walked on by punk kids in their mustangs?????? Its embarassing GN's are supposed to be fast

Sounds like you have the stuff on your car to run E85 already ( pump, injectors etc). Just order the TT chip from Eric and see how you like it. If you can get the car to 60 ft you should go 12.5's easy. Don't know how much boost you are running now but im guessing its no where near 21-23lb's. It will be like driving a diffrent car. Keep a close eye on the scanmaster as you will not want any knock at that boost level.

How much boost are you planning to run? Since you have to run almost twice as much e85 as regular fuel you may come up short running only 60 pound injectors. You need to be able to push a lot of fuel.

Agree you need more fuel with E85. He said its a stock head, stock turbo car so 60's should be ok. He said he wants to run a 12.5. It should get there on 21lb's if he has good tires and 60ft's like it should 1.6's or so. I have the same setup on another car than the one in my sig, thats stock except for 60lb injectors, xp pump, hot wired, TT E85 chip, stock downpipe and exhaust with test pipe running on 100% E85 at 22lbs it ran a 8.28 in the 1/8 mile with a horible 1.98 sixty ft time. This is a wore out 120,000 plus mile car.

Im gonna give it a shot and see if I like it, shit its only gonna cost the price of a new chip to try it.

Can I just run my current fuel low and fill up with E85?

10 years ago people were running 11s on 36 lb blue top injectors. For 12s he'll be fine. It's still faster than just about anything on the road.

Ya just run the tank low and fill with E85. I wouldn't push it really hard until you run through that tank and are on to the next. You shouldn't have any problems. Let us know how you like it. Hope you have drag radials you are going to need them!:D

E 85 is 35 % oxygen by weight. Oxygen is the precious commodity that allows the internal combustion engine to make more power. Almost every modification,we do to a motor,is done to get more air into the motor. The air entering the motor is only 22% oxygen. Most of the air we breathe is space wasting inert gasses such as nitrogen. If we can get more oxygen into the motor in some other way than the air we breathe,it's a good thing. One way is by injecting nitrous oxide. Nitrous oxide is a gas that is 33 % oxygen. More oxygen allows us to burn more fuel . This is were the increased power comes from. Every time we add 11 parts of oxygen we can add one part of fuel,so you can see that oxygen is the thing we need the most. When we get more oxygen by introducing more air into the motor,the vast majority of what we are adding is inert gasses that take up space and bring nothing to the party.
Methanol,Ethanol,and Nitro Methane get more oxygen into the motor because it's in the fuel. That's why these fuels make more power than gasoline.

If you do nothing to the motor and switch to E85,you will make more torque and your turbo will spool up twice as fast. You'll fall in love with it,then you'll increase the boost and advance the timing and fall deeper in love.

Thanks guys Im in the process of ordering a new chip now. I do need an adjustable wastegate. I have no problem spending the cash who has the best wastegate for me?

Ok guys got my wastegate installed and I just installed a boost and knock gauge last night. Took it out for a test run and the boost gauge shows that it spikes to 17 pounds then settles at 15 pounds, happens super fast. I have my e85 chip but dont want to install and turn up the boost until I figue out of this boost spike is gonna cause me a problem.

Any info would be greatly apprecitaed

Go to the e85. You will do more harm on 93 than e85. Fix it after that, but I'm sure you'll be in the 20's soon.