E85 effects after 1 seson

SO you 've RUN E85 in your GN .. or just your lawnmower ?

How much time do you have on E85 in your GN to base your FACTS on ..... 10 + years ??? How many conversions do you base your FACTS on .. 100 + ??

There are many others POSTING up information that is exactly the same as I am .. and the only reason we are is to keep it real and factual based on our real world experiences and not some BS that someone has a personal agenda against. It lets these cars be all they can be on low cost standard pump fuel ...

Facts ARE .. IT WORKS ! ... PERIOD ..

The fact is that ANY fuel if not used correctly can cause issues... WTF ... how many times have you gotten a bad batch of 91 that ran like crap !

How many Turbo Buicks needed head gaskets changed from poor fuel ??? Im betting ALOT MORE than had any REAL issues with E85 !

I am also betting that ALOT more Turbo Buicks had head gaskets SAVED as a result of running E85 than not .

The FACTS are .. if you want to run power levels that simply make you giggle .. all at $2.50 a gallon or less.. right out of the pump in a Turbo Buick E85 is your LEAST expensive .. simplest bolt on you can make .. NOTHING can return the performance for the same $500 investment. It is the simplest, easiest , cleanest, most effective mod one can do in a turbo buick !

Now don't you have convertor posts to be trolling !

If you get this angry every time someone doesn't agree with you, you will be a miserable SOB more oft than not.

Take a chill pill and go sniff some E85 to get in a better mood man.

Who's being the hater? Go look in the mirror if you haven't figured it out yet.

I don't understand why people get so miffed when others don't bow down to their beliefs or don't agree with them.

There are pros and cons to every debate of any performance enhancing product.

Until the day unicorns and rainbows flow from the pump nozzle there will/should be an honest debate of what works and doesn't work and people should be able to voice freely what experiences they have had without fear of being attacked by ideological fanatics that are one sided and not open to all the facts.

I suppose if I was installing E85 kits for a living I would try to be one sided so I could keep my bread and butter on the table.

I'm done bantering back and forth with you now as it's not productive or furthering anything positive in this thread.

If you get this angry every time someone doesn't agree with you, you will be a miserable SOB more oft than not.

Take a chill pill and go sniff some E85 to get in a better mood man.

Who's being the hater? Go look in the mirror if you haven't figured it out yet.

I don't understand why people get so miffed when others don't bow down to their beliefs or don't agree with them.

There are pros and cons to every debate of any performance enhancing product.

Until the day unicorns and rainbows flow from the pump nozzle there will/should be an honest debate of what works and doesn't work and people should be able to voice freely what experiences they have had without fear of being attacked by ideological fanatics that are one sided and not open to all the facts.

I suppose if I was installing E85 kits for a living I would try to be one sided so I could keep my bread and butter on the table.

I'm done bantering back and forth with you now as it's not productive or furthering anything positive in this thread.

Great now we can get to actual FACTS and not just Hype !

And your 100% correct .. I am a HATER of MISINFORMATION !

and I don't install E85 kits for a living .. I grow CORN ! so don't ASSume !

DO we all start to post up pics of fuel lines, filters, turbo's and motors to show what the real PROOF is ?

The intent of my posts on E85 is just to make sure people actually form their OWN opinion based on personal use rather than on myths being substantiated by people that haven't even used it.

I honestly do not know of 1 guy that hasn't been impressed with the results .. again this is providing they do things right and its tuned correctly... I certainly don't know anyone that's reverted back to 91 pump fuel.

At any rate I will keep drinkin the Kool-Aid and enjoying the ill effects of 25 psi on $2.17 a gallon fuel :) .. I guess ROB to your point there are ill effects of E85 .. accelerated melting of rubber ( but not on fuel lines :)

turbo89, what do you think caused the pitting on that cast iron exhaust elbow? I have no horse in this race. E85 is forbiden in NH, no sources.

turbo89, what do you think caused the pitting on that cast iron exhaust elbow? I have no horse in this race. E85 is forbiden in NH, no sources.

WOW it's forbidden? Your state must be the only one that doesn't like taking taxpayer subsidized artificially priced E85.

Time for everyone to move to NH. It's beautiful out there and they also don't have a state sales tax if I remember correctly.

I used Torco unleaded octane booster. It turned everything orange like in the photos.
http://www.torcousa.com/torco_product/un_acce.html
Boostane does that too. They claim it will not hurt anything.
WOW it's forbidden? Your state must be the only one that doesn't like taking taxpayer subsidized artificially priced E85.

Time for everyone to move to NH. It's beautiful out there and they also don't have a state sales tax if I remember correctly.
I think it's more about the transportation of the alcohol through the state via trains. The trains would have get to the seacoast where the gasoline depot is for mixing. Yes, we have no sales tax or income tax, only tax on interest. It is very beautiful here. Seacoast, mountains and lakes all within a half day drive. Only problem is snow, which is predicted to happen tonight.:cry:

Boostane does that too. They claim it will not hurt anything.

I think it's more about the transportation of the alcohol through the state via trains. The trains would have get to the seacoast where the gasoline depot is for mixing. Yes, we have no sales tax or income tax, only tax on interest. It is very beautiful here. Seacoast, mountains and lakes all within a half day drive. Only problem is snow, which is predicted to happen tonight.:cry:

Believe it or not it's snowing here right now! The end of the world must be near.

I've been to NH and it's beautiful, I love the fishing out there and have even been skiing there.

The no taxes issue is an awesome bonus!

I started this thread to show what was found inside a motor that has been running e85. Nothing else was being used. This was straight e85. I have never taken a motor apart that looked like this inside. And I take allot of them apart. As far as I'm concerned, the pics I posted are rock solid evidence. It's not Iphone surgery. It's real life results with pics. You don't have to like or agree with it but to talk smack when I posted pics that shows beyond a doubt that the motor is being subjected to corrosive acceleration from the inside, you are a complete :asshat:.

Unless you have a e85 engine apart and can back up your claims, Keep out of my thread.

Rick

Rick,
I was trying to share my experience with orange in the exhaust on my car. I was running gasoline and the octane booster at the time. I am now running e-85 but i am not sure if the orange has completely gone away. I have not pulled the spark plugs yet.
Rob

As I made the conversion I felt the items needing to be changed should be addressed anyway on a 28 yr. old vehicle. The items i.e. new tank, sending unit, pump, filter, injectors etc....surely need to be updated & improved with any fuel as we seek more & better performance. The chip can be re-tuned if we choose to switch back and would need to be anyway if choosing to add ALKY . The only area in question are the fuel lines and the work & cost to update and / or re-route for the best & cleanest delivery of any fuel!

Summation: the above items simply make the car better and then try E-85 and enjoy the octane boost, while for those not comfortable the switch back is no big problem.

One man's opinion............................o_O

I started this thread to show what was found inside a motor that has been running e85. Nothing else was being used. This was straight e85. I have never taken a motor apart that looked like this inside. And I take allot of them apart. As far as I'm concerned, the pics I posted are rock solid evidence. It's not Iphone surgery. It's real life results with pics. You don't have to like or agree with it but to talk smack when I posted pics that shows beyond a doubt that the motor is being subjected to corrosive acceleration from the inside, you are a complete :asshat:.

Unless you have a e85 engine apart and can back up your claims, Keep out of my thread.

Rick
Hey I think people are just puzzled because so far no one else on e85 has seen this. Just wondering what other variables there could be. Lots of people use it and this is a bit freaky.:confused: I have
not been on this fuel long and if I see anything in the first year I will definitely post my experience. I have pretty much all new stuff. New motor, turbo, gas tank, pump, sending unit, and fuel
return line.

Here are 3 housings used on E85 cars .. the housing with no internals has ~ 12K E85 miles ( 2-3 seasons of E85 use) .... the other 2 close to half that each..
If I were closer to my TTA that has been running E85 since 04 I would gladly pull the elbow off and take a pic ... I guarantee there is no RUST or PITTING caused by E85 !

and I have seen 2-3 motors that looked very similar to that .. the only problem is that E85 wasn't even born back then !!!

Attachments

• E851.jpg
    E851.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 201
  • E852.jpg
    E852.jpg
    673.3 KB · Views: 187
  • E853.jpg
    E853.jpg
    652.8 KB · Views: 211
Here are 3 housings used on E85 cars .. the housing with no internals has ~ 12K E85 miles ( 2-3 seasons of E85 use) .... the other 2 close to half that each..
If I were closer to my TTA that has been running E85 since 04 I would gladly pull the elbow off and take a pic ... I guarantee there is no RUST or PITTING caused by E85 !

and I have seen 2-3 motors that looked very similar to that .. the only problem is that E85 wasn't even born back then !!!

Maybe a engine that sat out in the elements for a long period of time but not no running motor. This motor is low mile running e85 since spring. Not some old high mile junk. Never have I seen a low mile engine look like this. Maybe a old engine that sat out for years in the elements but not a running motor. The cylinder bore's are are in great condition other than the orange tint (surface rust). This motor was driven several miles right before it was torn down. . There is no other logical explanation for this. Glad you all are having such good luck with it though.

Have a great day.

Rick

Maybe a engine that sat out in the elements for a long period of time but not no running motor. This motor is low mile running e85 since spring. Not some old high mile junk. Never have I seen a low mile engine look like this. Maybe a old engine that sat out for years in the elements but not a running motor. The cylinder bore's are are in great condition other than the orange tint (surface rust). This motor was driven several miles right before it was torn down. . There is no other logical explanation for this. Glad you all are having such good luck with it though.

Have a great day.

Rick

First question .. if its a low mile motor .. why was it torn down ? The mileage on the motor has nothing to do with it ... we've all seen motors with hi miles that looked new inside and on the flip side I've seen motors with 10-15K miles that you would think have 115K ... there are a lot of reasons things can go to dodo real real quick

Second question if it was driven to any extent before tear down.. how can there still be Rust on the walls / piston tops ?

Third question if its from spring .. if you were to DIP that turbine housing in PURE E100 .. its not going to SCALE and oxidize that housing to that extent in 6 months ... Isn't it possible that there are OTHER contributors to what your seeing that have ZERO to do with E85 itself. IF you look at the engine closely .. I am sure you will see signs :)

Nobody is questioning what you are seeing IS REAL ... but I wouldn't be as quick to point the finger @ E85 itself ... especially after seeing the motor.

Hope you find the real cause and nail down the real issue.

best of luck

Could it be that E85 is the scapegoat here ??

Out of all you guys. Which one of you have ran an alky kit when switching between e-85 and 93 octane?

I am not fully versed in E85 but I know it does create a lot of water when burnt. The only thing I can think that would cause the pitting is the water mixing with unburnt fuel and making an acid? Maybe the engine was running too rich?

First question .. if its a low mile motor .. why was it torn down ? The mileage on the motor has nothing to do with it ... we've all seen motors with hi miles that looked new inside and on the flip side I've seen motors with 10-15K miles that you would think have 115K ... there are a lot of reasons things can go to dodo real real quick

Second question if it was driven to any extent before tear down.. how can there still be Rust on the walls / piston tops ?

Third question if its from spring .. if you were to DIP that turbine housing in PURE E100 .. its not going to SCALE and oxidize that housing to that extent in 6 months ... Isn't it possible that there are OTHER contributors to what your seeing that have ZERO to do with E85 itself. IF you look at the engine closely .. I am sure you will see signs :)

Nobody is questioning what you are seeing IS REAL ... but I wouldn't be as quick to point the finger @ E85 itself ... especially after seeing the motor.

Hope you find the real cause and nail down the real issue.

best of luck

Could it be that E85 is the scapegoat here ??

I already found the cause.

1st answer, the engine got new aluminum heads, cam, chain, rear main yata yata.

2nd answer, my point exactly! You hit un protected metal with moister it will surface rust over night. E85 leaves no protection. It cleans off any oil and will leave metal without any shield. Introduce air and you get rust and corrosion. This is not anything new. Known facts.

3rd answer, anything is possible but this was obviously caused by moisture. It's not a boat motor and as far as I know never had water injection. That would be the only other thing that could explain it.

Could it have been over rich? Sure. Was it the cause? Could be..

Rick

I already found the cause.

1st answer, the engine got new aluminum heads, cam, chain, rear main yata yata.

2nd answer, my point exactly! You hit un protected metal with moister it will surface rust over night. E85 leaves no protection. It cleans off any oil and will leave metal without any shield. Introduce air and you get rust and corrosion. This is not anything new. Known facts.

3rd answer, anything is possible but this was obviously caused by moisture. It's not a boat motor and as far as I know never had water injection. That would be the only other thing that could explain it.

Could it have been over rich? Sure. Was it the cause? Could be..

Rick

Motor with low miles and 2 seasons of use on PURE E85 ...

Car isn't daily driven ... has probably 1000 miles a year on it ... all basically done in 20-30 miles at a time..

it sits a lot.. has plenty of time to condensate and rust .. but yet DOESN'T ... the car has had 2 different turbo's on it that I rebuilt so can tell you for 100% certainty that the turbo's had ZERO pitting on them .. let alone grand canyon sized pits.

IF E85 itself was causing crap like that.. it would be a common theme when pulling these apart ..

Rick I call it like it is .. I don't sell E85 ... I have no vested interest or profit in having people use it ... the only reason I do promote it is that I have had such great luck with it and am just trying
to share that with others so that they also can enjoy their cars for what they can be... and I couldn't even tell you just how many people have told me the ONLY REGRET they have .. is not making the switch SOONER ... when done right they run excellent.
I'm so confident in it's use that I tell all my customers that I switch over ... IF you aren't 100% happy with the conversion I will remove all the parts and give you your money back.
The Key is that everything has to be right ..

What I have seen is that people just make the conversion.. turn up the boost through the roof and expect perfection.. that's a utopia ... get it right and the cars FLY with E85.

Attachments

• E85motor.jpg
    E85motor.jpg
    748.6 KB · Views: 177
I have personally recently seen a e98 ls motor that was just opened up. The car has been on e98 for several seasons. Absolutely zero signs of rust or pitting. The car made 1100 to the wheels and I believe the converter ballooned causing a thrust bearing issue hense the engine tear down. I'm not saying alcohol doesn't retain moisture, but I think the cars overall tune, maintenance, and how long it sits can greatly effect how this fuel performs. Every turbo import and boosted ford I know of is using e85. Not to mention flex fuel vehicles.