Dumb question. How do I mix concrete for footings for a fence?

BuickMike

Money pit
I have to put up an iron pool fence this weekend so my pool passes inspection in a couple weeks. The posts will be going in the dirt so I will be digging post holes and filling them with concrete.

I have never mixed concrete and am looking for some pointers.

What type will I need?

What other stuff do I need to mix it?

What can I mix it in?

Once I mix it, how long before it starts drying?

How long does it take to set?

Also, any pointers on building these fences?

Oh yeah, and if anyone wants to help, come on over :D

any bag concrete . all home stores carry it. i just pored about half a bag in a 5 gal. pale, stir with any old piece of wood, just add some water, but not so it's soupy. - i let mine dry over night . you can mix a few bags at a time using a wheel barrow and a shovel to mix with.

i just saw your in az. so you won't have to dig as deep i'd say maybe two feet deep. i did mine about 40 inches but i was told i had to go below the frost line.. i'll help you put it up for free, but you'd have to pick me up,i'm in wi.

What ever you decide to do, never place both of your feet in a bucket of cement near water.

Quickrete makes a product that you pour in the hole dry and pour the water in on top. No mixing. I don't know if you can get Quikrete in AZ but it's at Home Depot here.

daviss said:
Quickrete makes a product that you pour in the hole dry and pour the water in on top. No mixing. I don't know if you can get Quikrete in AZ but it's at Home Depot here.

Thats what I would do. Pour bag in hole, wet down, let set. Simple.

Depending on how many holes you have to dig and what you are digging in, go to Home Depot etc and rent a hole auger. Trust me on this one. :)

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm sure Home Depot carries Quickrete. I'll ask them how much I need.

BTW, anyone ever put up an iron fence? What is the best way to go about it? I was thinking about assembling one section at a time and cementing it assembled so I don't screw up. This would be opposed to measuring where the posts go, cementing them in, and then connecting up the fence pieces hoping I put the posts in the right place.

BuickMike said:
Thanks for the replies folks. I'm sure Home Depot carries Quickrete. I'll ask them how much I need.

BTW, anyone ever put up an iron fence? What is the best way to go about it? I was thinking about assembling one section at a time and cementing it assembled so I don't screw up. This would be opposed to measuring where the posts go, cementing them in, and then connecting up the fence pieces hoping I put the posts in the right place.

exactly... the very best way to do it.

Home desperate sells these 40 lb bags of just add water concrete... I would say one or two bags per post would work great. What I do is assemble two or three sections and then mix up 5-7 bags in my wheel barrow, then pour them in one at a time.

It is important that you do not move the posts after you have poured the concrete. In this weather, it starts to set up within 15 minutes. If you move it, it is possible it could wobble forever...

Doing it this weekend? I might swing by :cool:

I have a good wheel barrow to loan if you like

Vic

Thanks for all the replies. I dropped by Home Depot tonight and got everything I need. They had 80lb bags of the basic just add water concrete.

Hey Vic, I'll take you up on the wheel barrow loan if I can. I was just planning on mixing it in a big bucket, but that sounds alot better. Call me and I will come by whenever convenient to pick it up. If you are inclined to drop by to supervise, I would welcome it.

My wife and I have running around to do Saturday, so hopefully I'll be able to knock it out Sunday and Monday. All I have are 3 sections and a gate. I'll have to trim a couple feet off of one section and use it as a corner. Should be somewhat simple. I also have to rent a post hole digger. It'll have to be a power unit because of the hard dirt. Should be a fun project.

I'll see if i can break free... at the least I can drop the wheel barrow by...

Home desperate rents a tow behind gas auger with bits for 65/ day... VERY nice to use. I have a set of hand post hole diggers that I will bring by too.

You have the stuff to cut and (if needed) weld that fence back?

Vic

When you dig your holes, make sure they are shaped like a triangle. /\ The reverse taper is more secure than a square hole ||, particularly on a fence. You just back cut them with a shovel and scoop it out with the post hole diggers. "Just", ha; none of it is easy.

John, thanks for the advise.

Vic, thanks so much for the help. I have an air grinder that I can use to cut the fence. I have bolt in hardware to connect the fence to the poles, so no welding necessary. If for some reason I need to weld I have a mig welder with flux core in it right now. It'll be mesy, but it will get the job done. I'll dig up your number and give you a ring when I get home from work today. I'd like to see if I could borrow your stuff sometime Saturday so I can get up super early Sunday to start digging.

I'll also call True Value and see how much they rent augers for. Maybe they're cheaper than Home Depot.

mix your 'muck' up in a heavy duty plastic bucket 1 holes worth at a time, that way you wont waste any and also when your done, let the rest dry in the bucket and then squash it a few times to break off the excess and you'll have a clean bucket at the end.

Unless your using that 'mix dry and set in the hole' stuff which it looks like you may be doing so ignore all this. :rolleyes:

Get a big metal wheel barrow if possible and go 3 parts sand to 1 part of the actual mix. Get ready for a work out...lol. You can always cheat and rent a mixer and let it do the work for you.

smokinttype said:
Get a big metal wheel barrow if possible and go 3 parts sand to 1 part of the actual mix. Get ready for a work out...lol. You can always cheat and rent a mixer and let it do the work for you.

That's true... they do have mixers and posthole diggers for rent down at circle K :eek:

got your email, I'll give ya a buz Mike.

Vic

I'm guessing this thread is about done, so i'll post what you all want to but wont...

"post pics ?"

;)

Well, it's all done. I didn't do too bad for a first timer. Thanks to AZ Vic for loaning me your stuff. I could not have pulled this job off so easily without your equipment and advise. Let me know when you want your tools back. Oh yeah, and your truck leaks oil worse than my GN. :D :D :eek:

I'll take some pics and post 'em later this week.

Ah man.... I'm sorry about that. I didn't even think about it. Pulled up in your brand new driveway and that thing leaks like a siv sometimes... I never notice at my place - it is all dirt... for now

I'll be by soon to pick them up and "critique" your work :biggrin: j/k

You are very welcome.

Vic

No big deal. Half the time I bring the GN out I forget to pull it off of the driveway and end up with my own mess.

The fence turned out decent. I got it as straight and level as humanly possible. The only problem I had was that one of the footings is a hair loose in the dirt. I braced that thing really good, so I'm not quite sure what happened. Not a big deal though, all in all it's pretty solid and I'll be changing it around in a year or so anyways.