dumb maf question

JonnyBoost

Turbo Junkie
my buick just started throwing a code 34 today. just in the nick of time, as i need to get it inspected by friday. it's probably a stupid question but how bad will a bad maf sensor screw up the emissions testing and inspection?? or should i just put off inspection till i get to the bottom of the problem

thanks
jon

What are the rules in NY about a failed emissions? No sense risking a probable emissions failure if you can wait. Can you get an extension for the inspection? Why do you need it for Friday/
Just trying to help 'cause I don't know the answer to your original question but my questions, I think, are equally important to you.
Drew

yeah im gonna get to the bottom of it first because im pretty sure i dont have a shot at passing w/o the fix. i need it inspected before friday because march 31st 2005 is the last day my NYS inspection sticker is valid.

- ive checked the air duct and that is solid

- is there a way to test and see if my maf sensor is just plain dead??

-any ideas how i should go about testing for - intermittant connections at maf sensor or ECM??

In MA I'm pretty sure if you go and fail you have 30 days to fix it and you can go back to the same station and get inspected after for no extra charge.
As for the MAF, you could try the tap test: tap the MAF firmly but not too hard while the car is running. Does the engine stumble? Does the idle quality change if you unplug the MAF? If the engine runs exactly the same and throws the same code with it plugged in and unplugged then theres probably some sort or wiring problem but my bet would be the sensor itself. These methods arent too scientific but they are a start...

Also, if you have some sort of scantool, check if you are getting any AF readings at idle (should be around 5 or so) and watch what it does while driving around.

Drew & turbobuickman

thanks for the ideas, the AF at idle is right around 5, when driving they kinda jump all over when it starts to stumble. the tap test doesnt effect the idle. im pretty convinced that it must be some faulty wiring some place. :confused:

is there a fuse that i could check in regards to the maf sensor? or just look for broken inslulation around the wires? leading to the ecm

thanks for the help

Where are your BLMs at different rpms and load ranges? Are they all still in a controllable range, not below 115 and not higher than about 140?
Even though theoretically the ECM has controll at lower and higher reading than that, I find it difficult to pass a tread mill test when they are further out than that.
Can you swap the MAF with a known good one from somebody in your area??