dubs dyno with a grand nat

Well id like to see the results,and im pretty sure the smoke coming from the exaust like that cant be too good?but I love the buicks so I give it a thumbs up :D

Is this what is refered to as "overboost"? My TB was doing this before I took it apart.

Bill

65turbo6 said:
Is this what is refered to as "overboost"? My TB was doing this before I took it apart.

Bill
there is no such thing as overboost, as long as you have the octane to support it. ;)

65turbo6 said:

Bill

It's what referred to as spending the $2K+ on wheels that you should've spent on your engine. It was burning quite a bit of oil.

I know some guys like the way they look, but I really don't. All they do is kill traction by eliminating the sidewalls.

As TurboIndian said, there is no such thing as overboost as long as you have enough octane. You'll know when you've 'overboosted' when the engine starts making awful noises or the crankshaft comes out the bottom.

Jim

As you can see, I'm new here, and new to the turbo cars. I had a brand new `87 T-Type. Should've kept it, but that's another story. Anyway, I got the urge again and since the original driveline in my `65 Skylark is exhausted, I bought another turbo car to use as a donor. Another `87 T-Type. It has all stock internals including a stock converter but is upgraded with a PTE51, 50# injectors, Walbro 340, 3" THDP, 3" single exhaust, Caspers chip and a Ford Powerstroke IC mounted up front. And likely some other stuff that I left out. I bought it on ebay last year and brought it home to play with it a little before taking the car apart. When I mashed the go pedal for the first time the boost came up to 25psi and the whole thing went limp, like blowing an air line, and it slowed down. I could step on it again and it would be fine until it got spooled up, then did it again. Even after I got the boost under control it still did this everytime it spooled up. The one day the fuel line broke so I parked it and took the car apart. I asked around at BG last year but never did find out what my problem might have been. Any ideas? I've been reading the boards from time to time but only now started to post. Perhaps this is a question for another topic. If so, I'm sorry I put it in the wrong place, but I'll have more and I'll get better at this. There's always a learning curve when we're new to things. I am eager to learn as much as I can about this engine before I put it in my `65, and so far I have learned a great deal. You guys are great and these boards are second to none. When I saw this video, that car appeared to have done exactly the same thing mine was doing. Thanks.

Bill

65turbo6 said:
If so, I'm sorry I put it in the wrong place, but I'll have more and I'll get better at this.

Bill,

No apology necessary. I should apologize for using your post to state my dislike for those rims. It has nothing to do with your post.

If you are having trouble, though, your best bet is start a new thread in this General Turbo Buick Tech forum.

Welcome!

Jim

Well, I like the wheels and feel that it's your car, so do what ever you like to it!! :cool:

Thanks for the welcome, Jim. I don't care for those big wheels, either, but it would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing so I don't house any disrespect for those who do like them. After watching that video, I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to ask about the problem I had with my car since that car was doing exactly what mine seemed to be doing. I'll post a new thread and see if someone can shed some light on it. It's probably pretty obvious by now that I'm a rookie when it comes to the turbo cars, but it's never late to learn.

Bill

I wish I had the specs on those wheels cause it looks great!! Anything but Pro-Stars or Convo-Pros!! I would like to know what size wheels and backspacing they are. Also suspension components! ----Jeremy

65turbo6 said:
Thanks for the welcome, Jim. I don't care for those big wheels, either, but it would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing so I don't house any disrespect for those who do like them.

I don't mean any disrespect. I just don't understand cosmetic mods that sacrifice performance - particularly when the car obviously needs mechanical work. But who knows, maybe it started smoking after he dropped thousands on the rims and tires.

Jim

I would like to get some wheels like that and my car I know needs some mechanical attention. It's all in what you have had and will have!! Maybe he's not that great of a tuner!! I know I have a lot to learn!! ---Jeremy

65turbo6-where are you are located? If you're close enough I could take a look at it sometime.

Crestview, 40 miles east of Pensacola, but it won't do much good now, I have removed the engine from the car. Thanks. Ever get out to Holt?

Bill

65turbo6 said:
Thanks for the welcome, Jim. I don't care for those big wheels, either, but it would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing so I don't house any disrespect for those who do like them. After watching that video, I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to ask about the problem I had with my car since that car was doing exactly what mine seemed to be doing. I'll post a new thread and see if someone can shed some light on it. It's probably pretty obvious by now that I'm a rookie when it comes to the turbo cars, but it's never late to learn.

Bill
If it seems to be running fine except for it starts poping only under WOT, then there's a few possible causes. The first bet would be a weak coil or ignition module. The next would be a loose ground somewhere. The popping is like a backfire thru the intake..if thats what it is doing..and its because the spark is too weak to ignite the fuel/air that was compressed.

Did you get the boost down to a reasonable level, say around 13-14#?
Check around with locals and see if anyone has a Caspers Ignition mod/coil tester as well or you can check the ohms across the coil pairs, should be in the 11k ohm range ..I think... This test does not always find one to be bad though, the Caspers tester works much better but still can test good, but thats rare from what I've seen with mine.
If its a bad ground, all you can do is check to make sure they are securely attached to the rear of the motor and various places and not broken.

It wasn't really popping, though. I really, really appreciate everyone's responses on this, but I feel I should point out that I have already removed the driveline from the car and parted the rest of it out so I can't really try any of it at this point. I have decided to rebuild it before putting it back in and I will definitely be looking for some suggestions on that project as well. Now for the popping. It wasn't really what I would consider popping. I noticed at BG last year that after a car does it's burnout before a run, when they let off it goes Phfeeew :confused: (hey, I'm trying LOL ) or something like that? Like it's blowing air out of the intake only it did it at WOT. Wastegate? I would like to have ironed it out before I took it apart but the fuel line broke, well, rusted out (I bought the car in Indianapolis, heart of the rust belt), so I gave up.

Bill

You're real close to me, Bishir, Evilgn, and a whole buttload of T.B. drivers. Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a GN in this area nowadays :biggrin: Go to Holt to watch, but probably run both cars this year if I have time. Let me know if you need any help or anything. Sounds like a sweet project you got lined up. I wanted to do a 59/60 Invicta but couldn't find one. PM me if you need anything.