DS captured a backfire - anyone wanna look?

Warp6

Mine since '92
I have this post in scan tool tech also, but I want more exposure so I put it here too.
This looks like a connectivity problem to me. It threw a code 42 (EST Monitor Error) along with a code 45 (Rich Exhaust) which I think is non related. Just installed 83# injectors.
I was sitting at a light , hit the space bar then lightly rolled into the throttle then POW! Sounded like a gun! I thought the car shut off but then it came back to life and drove perfectly.
What are your thoughts?
Give me your e-mail address and I'll send. Or is ther another way to share the file?
Thanks in advance

Originally posted by jastrckl
really dumb question, but the chip is matched to the 83's now right?
yes, it's an Extender Extreme for 83# injectors in a modded ecm

I will be glad to take a look. Email it to me Here. This might be a dumb question, but do you have your coilpack bracket nutted down? I was doing some testing after installing a MSD unit and got a code 42 and pops becuase I had just set my coilpack over the studs without putting the nuts on. Apparantly the coilpack gets grounds through the bracket.

Sully

Originally posted by V6 Beast
do you have your coilpack bracket nutted down?
Sully
Yes, I just did it actually when I changed the injectors. I will take another look though. Thanks.

Well there were a few frames of KR in there. ;)

But at the big bang all the power to the ECM went to 0.

All the values in two frames were at 0.

I assume a battery cable or connection casued the pop.

Took about 5 frames to get the data back to looking normal too but you can see the values are gone in the BLM tables.

Real funky.

Check the wiring, especially the grounds and near the starter.

DS showed the knock count at 3 just starting rolling. What's that about??

look at the HP and torque numbers. You want some of that??!!!ha!

Not sure if it's the direct scan shorting out the ECM and causing drivability problems or the cars wiring itself.

Hmmmm.

I'd be checking everything before going WOT again.

Originally posted by BoostKillsStres
Warp, you might read thru my posts in here and make sure your ribbon cable is grounded properly: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95539
I really need to try that. How would you suggest grounding the cable now that you know more about it? Can I find something at Radio Shack or somewhere local? How do you connect the material to the ecm itself...tape? Not sure I follow

You could try wrapping the entire ribbon cable in a couple layers of alum foil then just tape or run a couple zip ties w/ it up against the ecm so it will ground through the ecm's ground. You can call Conley's and get the shielding when you describe the problem. freebie!!!! Radioshack may or maynot have the shielding in the store, I've never looked.

HTH

I carefully wrapped my cable with Al. Foil then used a layer of the shinny Duct Tape to hold it all in place. Works great to shield out interference, but I never had EMI that would reset the entire BLM table. I would continue to look for a short somewhere.

Sully

Thinking of spinning it around the block without the laptop running DS. If it's a DS cable problem there should be no backfire..right? If I run the laptop and DS and get a pop I guess that would tell the tale.

If you've seen my DS file, what would you make of the crazy HP and torque values being displayed? Could this be caused by a bad connection at the DS plug to the ecm or maybe a cable grounding issue? When I first installed the modded ecm and tried running DS I got all kinds of jumbled numbers in all fields and the car ran like crap. I could unplug the DS cable and the idle would clear up. Then I removed the cable and cleaned the ecm connection with acetone and a scotchbrite pad. The connectors appeared to be really clean, down to the copper showing on them. The idle was perfect then with no other problems evident.

Warp6 be advised my car would still hickup/pop w/o the laptop attached, it would do it as long as the ribbon was attached to the ecm, unplug it and all clear.
HTH

A lot of people, me included, have had problems with the direct scan cable going on the connector too far. The best solution is to take a toothpick and push it down in the ribbon cable so the connector does not go on too far. Works like a champ.

HTH

Steve

Originally posted by V6 Beast
A lot of people, me included, have had problems with the direct scan cable going on the connector too far. The best solution is to take a toothpick and push it down in the ribbon cable so the connector does not go on too far. Works like a champ.

HTH

Steve
Interesting! Never heard that before. I remember pushing the plug in as far as I could get it. hmm...thanks

I also had the same problem w/ the connector pushed on but i didn't get much crazy data at the time but mine would timeout very often and loose communication with the ecm. I decided to fold up paper and stuff it down in there because I didn't have thin enough tooth pics to go in there w/o pushing the pins back which could also mess up the connection and the paper is fairly easy to dig out if needed where the tooth pick may not come back out once it snaps past the ends of the pins in the bottom of the connector.

just what I did,
HTH

Take a real close look at the circuit board ends of the traces and the connector and you can see how there could be problems, shorts when pushed in too far.

They neck down and then get fat again. Kinda funky.

Never put the connector on all the way, it's asking for trouble.