dry turbo

Brian Collins

Took the car for a short drive around the block after sitting for a long time today. It didn't seem to be building boost so I pulled the intake hose off to check the turbo. No movement. I pulled off the oil feed hose on top of turbo and it was bone dry. Argh, it seems likes there is an oil problem that needs to be fixed before I replace/rebuild the turbo. Anybody ever have the same problem? I guess I'll check the feed line for clogs, I'm just too frustrated right now.

After coming inside and moping around for a bit I went back outside. The sun came out and I could see some oil at the fitting so I got a Dixie cup and confirmed that the turbo was getting oil. It filled the cup in about 4 seconds at idle.

I pulled the turbo out and it was locked up at the little half-moon looking bearing in the intake side. That bearing does not spin on the shaft and the shaft is worn in that spot. I guess that's what I get for trying to be cheap and rebuild it myself. It worked better before I rebuild it.

Would I feel any difference with a TE-44 running at near stock boost? From what I understand this is the "next step" from stock.

With a 3" dp and a 44 you could expect at least 30 hp rwhp