drivetrain conversion

49-blues

is it possible to easily convert a 84 drivetrain to a 87 while still using original block?and if so what would be involved?

IMO too much effort... :eek:

You'll need:
All of the "Upper end" of the '86/'87 motor; intake, throttle body, and sensors
The '86/'87 headers, and crossover pipe
'86/'87 Turbo with oil return, and oil feed line
All the brackets, the tensioner, the alternator, *Power steering
Wiring harness unless your a glutton for punishment like me

*Converting the '86/'87 power steering to work with the '84 brake system is going to be "fun."

You can use the '84 injector harness.

You could use the '86/'87 oil pump and then have to use the '87 radiator, oil coolant lines, and '87 radiator hold down.

I'm currently installing an '87 T motor into my '84 GN.

At the nationals in Columbus I saw quite a few trailers full of hot-air top ends from change-over cars. The shops were charging well over 2K$ for the swap..Why bother? A TM kit and an updated turbo should produce even more power gains. Just a thought.

Currently, I am collecting parts to do just that. I am attempting to convert an '85 block from hot air to intercooled. So far, I have about $1300 in the collection effort, which reflects used parts as well as some new and performance parts. However, I still lack an alternator, compressor clutch, hard lines for vacuum and coolant, the rear alternator brace, an upgrade turbo, and an intercooler. It is my intention to use as much of the '85 sensors as possible, along with the '85 engine harness and injector harness. I will also attempt to use the '85 turbo until I can upgrade. I will probably bypass an intercooler for a while with a U-pipe until I can afford to buy or fabricate one for myself.

All of the '85 sensors will swap over to the '87 motor... :)

I swapped them over this morning! (Saturday) I considered buying new sensors for this swap - but since the other motor is going to sit I decided to use them.

It was fun swapping out the crank sensor... my cut up right hand reflects the fun of laying on my back and twisting those hand tools to make it happen :mad:

The starter wiring goes in early this Monday morning after I get off work. oh boy...

I also have done it with 84 85 sensors expect the mass air sensor which is updated to the 86 87 it was tuff at times but it is done ,cost was about 1200. for everything if I had to do it agian I would go with the turbomotion kit.I will post times as soon as I get it to the track. I also ran the turbo oil drain to the pan no problems look good car seems to pull a lot harder through mid range and top end good luck.