Down pipe

Frank718

Buick t type
Can anyone tell me the difference between a regular down pipe and a external Down pipe.Thanks

Can anyone tell me the difference between a regular down pipe and a external Down pipe.Thanks

I think you might be referring to how the wastegate works. The factory downpipe uses an internal wastegate. It is made into the cast iron elbow on the stock turbo.

If you buy a downpipe, you have an option to get one that works with the internal style wastegate, or you can buy a downpipe that is made for an external wastegate. It is a small bypass pipe made into the downpipe you can bolt an aftermarket wastegate to. Also some turbos are not set up to be compatible with an internal style wastegate.

IMHO the stock style internal is all that is needed to probably 9 seconds... maybe faster. At some point... the stock style internal won't flow enough to keep up and can be one of the causes for boost creep..... i.e. the boost keeps climbing past where you set it when the engine is revved.

HTH

The conventional exhaust pipe is internal, the external exhaust pipe is external. The regular exhaust is stock and functional, the external exhaust is aftermarket and performance oriented. Ordinary exhaust pipes use common materials, external exhaust pipes use high-performance materials.
This thread is 17 years old & the post you made, makes no sense.

Troll much?

The conventional exhaust pipe is internal, the external exhaust pipe is external. The regular exhaust is stock and functional, the external exhaust is aftermarket and performance oriented. Ordinary exhaust pipes use common materials, external exhaust pipes use high-performance materials.
This is incorrect
Downpipes can be made of all different materials from stainless to aluminum.