Door Trim Removal/Replacement

1986turbobuick

So the door trim on my T-Type is coming off. This gives me two options:
1. Take them off and re-adhere them back on.
2. Take them off and completely leave them off.

Both options leave me with the same questions, how do you go about removing the old adhesive tape, without ruining my paint? To take the rivets out, is the best way to do that is just drill through? The thought of taking a power tool to a car door does make me a little nervous, but I don't know how else to do something like that.

Another question that only pertains to option two, will the paint be faded enough to the point where you will see where the trim used to be? I have included pictures of my issue, I can take more if necessary, just let me know.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

IMG_5606.JPG IMG_5607.JPG IMG_5608.JPG IMG_5609.JPG

I just went through this on my GN. What you're going to find is if you leave the trim off you will see where the adhesive has eaten into the paint and will leave a line where the trim was. I tried color sanding the paint but you could still see where the trim was. Your car appears to be silver so maybe it won't be as noticeable. I wound up repainting my doors. To take the adhesive off I used GooGone. You have to let it soak for a while and the adhesive will soften. It will not hurt the paint. I tried finding trim that matched my old trim with no luck. That's why I totally removed mine.

Fortunately, I still have all the pieces of trim and they are still in pretty good condition. I have used GooGone before on other things, but I was wary of putting it on car paint. Good to know I can use that stuff now. As for the rivets, did you just drill them out?