door closing issues

grandnash84

so i replaced my drivers side door hinge on my gn today because the dent roller(if thats what its called) broke and i wanted my door to close properly without slamming it everytime. after i changed the hinge i did notice that it was a lot smoother but still required some force to make it close all the way. what other things should i look at so it will close with me using little force as possible. is it possible to get it to close real soft like a new car? any help is appreciated

so i replaced my drivers side door hinge on my gn today because the dent roller(if thats what its called) broke and i wanted my door to close properly without slamming it everytime. after i changed the hinge i did notice that it was a lot smoother but still required some force to make it close all the way. what other things should i look at so it will close with me using little force as possible. is it possible to get it to close real soft like a new car? any help is appreciated

Did you try to adjust the striker?

Door strike

sorry, really dont know too much bout cars, whats the striker?

On door jamb (opposite from hinge) look for the post with the hex drive and one or more washers at the base. OEM part may have a bushing on it that the locking mechanism rides up on when the door closes, but replacements now come as a post only (or maybe with washer base) these days.

HTH

getimage.php

sorry, really dont know too much bout cars, whats the striker?

The black piece that the door latches to. see if it lines up with the latch in door. If you grab the door at the rear does it move up and down? The hinge bushings wear out and the door will sag causing it not to shut properly. If the striker is misadjusted it will cause problems to. The striker can be adjusted with a torx socket. you can loosen it up and move the striker in and out or up and down to line it up

Have you recently changed the weather striping on the door ? Once I changed mines I had to use a lot more effort to get it closed but only when the window is up, when the window is down it closes like a new car.