Door Adjustment

burnout

I have replaced my old rusted doors with used rust free doors.(couldn't tell if they came off a buick,monte,etc.) I have the doors on and they shut but I can't get the the proper gap at the front of the door back of the fender. Same goes with the rear of the door. How can this be done? I have spent several hours working on this and it seems like everytime I try to adjust that part I throw somthing else out of adjustment. Can the striker be used as a adjustment, and should I have weather strips on or off the car? Right now the only ones on are the window seals.

Thanks, Dave

No, you don't want to use the striker to lift the door into place - really bad idea.
When adjusting the door, have the striker removed.
I would also leave the seals off until the door fits right as well.
There might be some bending needed to get it right or you could use shims at the hinge.
Also, make sure you have the door high enough. If they are to low, it will make it appear that the gap at the top is to wide.

The door fits good and open and closes. I was wondering how to close the gap between the fender and the door. It dosn't look right. I didn't use the striker to set the height of the door. I thought maybe the striker could be used for another adjustment.

Thanks, Burnout

Ah - I see. That is in the fender adjustment. You adjust the door to fit the 1/4 & rocker and then adjust the fender to fit the door (front to back).

The striker is only used to hold the door closed. Don't use it as any type of adjustment.
After the door fits right, install the striker so it latches easily and straight with no drag.

Hey Burnout,

I was wondering was it easy to install the doors, i mean as far as adjusting it to align with itself, like diconnected the wiring or did you have to cut and slice later? not sure of what procedures to take, i'm in the process of swapping my rusty doors for some non-rusty ones:D just curious as to what you did, did you need at least 2 people? or did you do it by yourself,

thanks

Originally posted by burnout
The door fits good and open and closes. I was wondering how to close the gap between the fender and the door.
Thanks, Burnout

I guess what you're saying is the seam between the fender and door is too large. You need to loosen the hinges on the pillar and slide them forward. Probably would be easier with a helper.

Originally posted by HvyMtlAnime
Hey Burnout,

I was wondering was it easy to install the doors, i mean as far as adjusting it to align with itself, like diconnected the wiring or did you have to cut and slice later? not sure of what procedures to take, i'm in the process of swapping my rusty doors for some non-rusty ones:D just curious as to what you did, did you need at least 2 people? or did you do it by yourself,

thanks

Installing doors isn't what I'd call easy. You can do the job yourself with the help a jack. Be nice if you can get a helper. You need to disconnect all the wiring from accessories inside the door and pull it out though the opening in the front jamb. Then, when you hang the new door, pull the wiring into the new door.

Check the gap at the rear of the door and the bottom of the door. If this is a consistent 3/16" or so (I have used paintsticks or even the brown tip of a Bic pen) and even, then the problem is the fender. A surefire way and easy way to adjust the fender gap is to put a floorjack under the frame just below the rear of the fender. With the lower fender bolt loosened (underneath near the bottom front of the door), start jacking the car up. The front end WILL sag and you will see the fender come into align with the door. Mind you, the fender/door gap is usually larger than the rear gap (1/4" - 5/16") so what you are looking for is a even, consistent gap. Then just tighten the lower fender bolt good and firm and lower the car back down. This is a one man job. Just leave yourself enough room to stand back and look at it from 15' away to see if you like it.

Thanks for the help everybody. The gaps at the back and the bottom of the door look really good so I will go ahead and check the fender and see how that works. Putting the doors on was easy it's just getting them adjusted. With the wiring just disconnect it with the old door on and then pull it through when your walking the door away. What sucks worse then aligning the doors is swapping all your parts from the old doors to the new ones. Helpful hint hit the rivits with a punch and then drill them out with a 1/4 drill bit.

Thanks again, Dave