Don't use Viton with meth

AnArKey

Well my kit finally died. Funny thing, the pump is still going, even though it has Viton valves. I imagine they will show some wear when I tear the pump down.

The check valves went first, they were Viton. Seal is gone, and they leak. I drained lots of methanol into the bottom of the intercooler, and gulped it up a couple of times when I cracked the throttle.

Good news is Buna-N is supposed to be rated A with methanol, and I can quickly replace the check valves with Buna-N ones, and the valve on the pump can be changed with either Buna-N or EPDM (also rated A with meth).

This website sure hit it:

http://www.arozone.com/Chemical/Index.asp

With methanol
Teflon: A
EPDM: A
Buna-N: A
Neoprene: A
Santoprene: A
Viton: D

BTW, ethanol and isoproply rate as a A with Viton.

That could be it, the weakness. Get rid of the Viton in whatever combo you may have and it shouldn't make a difference between denatured and methanol. Viton is pretty common, so most things you may put together will have some Viton unless you try and avoid it.

I had Teflon lines, Neoprene feed hose, and Viton check valves. The Teflon and Neoprene look uneffected, the Viton is screwed.

Oh and you can/should use sintered bronze filters. No sign of any corrosion on mine. Don't use paper, heard first hand meth will eat it to mush and clog.

Well folks, in case you didn't know this, there are various types of Viton. They can vary SO MUCH in resistance to methanol (some are fantastic, others SUCK), they should have different names to avoid confusion (too bad they are all just marked Viton). Take a look here:
http://www.dupont-dow.com/Products/Viton/techInfo.asp

The seal ring was popped out of one of the check valves. It looks pretty swollen (like a small donut), but I don't know how to take apart a new one to see what to compare the seal size to. It could have just freakishly popped out the seal.

In any case, I'm switching to Buna-N sealed check valves, which have been rated as Excellent or a "A" in at least five different compatibility guides I have seen.