Does your TCC seem to lock up prematurely w/stock chip?

2QUIK6

Turbo Milk Jug displacmnt
With the stock TTA chip installed, the Torque convertor seems to lock up prematurely when it hits 3rd gear. I'll be cruising at 30mph and it will lock. I can see it on my scan tool commanding the TCC to lock as soon as it gets to 3rd gear almost.
I put in the Thrasher92 chip, and it does not do this. With the TCC locked at cruise 30mph, it makes it very hard to accellerate and spool the turbo up.
Anybody else seem to have this problem with the stock chip?
Thanks

Yea, it sounds normal ! My GN used to do it and my TTA does the same thing. I know exactly what you mean, it's very annoying especially when your just trying to maintain your speed up a slight hill.

I hate lock up converters for this very reason. My TTA will receive a non lock up converter sooner than later! My GN picked up 4 tenths in the quarter and made the car a real pleasure to drive with smooth accelleration in all gears, at all speeds!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this. I don't recall my GN ever doing this, but then again, its been 10 years since it had a stock chip in it :) The Thrasher chip seems to be very smooth in the TTA and the lockup doesn't switch on till its a pretty even load and cruise, much nicer to drive.

Have your torque convertor clutch ( TCC) solonoid checked. They become faulty over the years. I would bet if you replaced that item that would cure your problem or at least reduce the aggrivation.

Jim, thats what I was leaning towards doing as it did stick once so far, but hasn't again since then after it cooled off. With Direct Scan I can see the TCC being commanded to lockup almost immediately when it gets to 3rd gear at cruise speeds with stock chip, I don't see that with the Thrasher chip and it drives much better with the Thrasher, too bad it won't pass emissions with the Thrasher though :( Thanks

Well, now that I have a chip burning setup, I see why the TCC locks up so soon, its programmed to lock up at a minimum of 23 mph in 3rd gear, stock on my GN is about 40 mph and the Thrasher is 45mph!!

2QUIK6
You are right. All you have to do is "burn" a new chip with the speed at which you want the 3rd gear to lock up and do the same for 4th gear.
I also set my unlock speed at 1 mph less than the lock up speed.
Just my 2 cents.

Gary :)

Originally posted by 2QUIK6
Jim, thats what I was leaning towards doing as it did stick once so far, but hasn't again since then after it cooled off. With Direct Scan I can see the TCC being commanded to lockup almost immediately when it gets to 3rd gear at cruise speeds with stock chip, I don't see that with the Thrasher chip and it drives much better with the Thrasher, too bad it won't pass emissions with the Thrasher though :( Thanks

Just get a Thrasher emissions chip when it's time for testing. I have a Thrasher92 and got an emissions chip, passed the smog test the first time.

Dannyo

Originally posted by Danster

Just get a Thrasher emissions chip when it's time for testing. I have a Thrasher92 and got an emissions chip, passed the smog test the first time.

Dannyo
Darn, I didn't know there was a Thrasher emission chip??? So it idles in Closed Loop?? thats why the regular Thrasher usually won't pass emissions. I'd like to get one if there is because of the security feature I won't have even if I burn me a chip myself.

I have one for stock injectors, but I see you have 40# injectors. This chip does not have the security feature, however, I'm sure they add the feature to the emissions chip.

Dannyo

Originally posted by Danster
I have one for stock injectors, but I see you have 40# injectors. This chip does not have the security feature, however, I'm sure they add the feature to the emissions chip.

Dannyo
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it. This is actually for my TTA which is stock so it's not a problem.